Home Gender & Sexuality
Exciting news! Join our watch club and get free access to NOW for 1 month

Confused about sexuality

alkazar2002alkazar2002 Posts: 2 Newbie
edited March 15 in Gender & Sexuality
Hi all. Ive been struggling with my sexuality for a few months. I feel like I may be experiencing sexual orientation OCD as I am constantly troubled. I find women attractive but I also feel im attracted to the other sex sometimes but it seems to vary. I can't see myself in a gay relationship and I feel straight a lot of the time but Im not really sure. Could this just be OCD? I have suffered with OCD for many years but never about my sexuality. Thanks
Post edited by alkazar2002 on

Comments

• coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 806 Part of The Mix Family
    Hey, welcome to the boards!

Thank you for sharing this with us - you did great to open up about how you are feeling.

Trying to figure out your sexuality can certainly be a confusing and consuming thing. Sexuality is fluid, so it can seem like your thoughts keep changing over time. Because of this, it can take time to figure things out. I can relate there! So, if you'd ever like to talk about your feelings here, as a way of understanding them better, you are more than welcome to :heart:

You mentioned thoughts about whether this could be sexual orientation OCD. As I am not a professional, I wouldn't want to diagnose you/say for sure. However, I did find this article and thought it could be helpful. You might like to compare how much you relate to the obsessions & compulsions they describe. If you think it sounds like you, then perhaps speaking to a professional to learn more about how to cope with this could be a good idea. Maybe if you have spoken to somebody before about your OCD, you could speak to them about this type of OCD too? :smile:

We are all right here to help you with this in any way that we can! Take good care x
    alkazar2002
  • alkazar2002alkazar2002 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Thank you for your reply! I believe I have seen the article before and I seem to be exhibiting some of the symptoms it suggests. Thank you for your insight. I shall certainly give it some thought.
    coc0mac
  • Emma_Emma_ 🥦🌻🌿 Vibing with plants and vegan food Posts: 238 Community Manager
    Hey Alkazar,

As Coco said, you've done a great job of opening up about this and naming what you're feeling.

Whilst it might feel really confusing and stressful right now, thats okay! Labels can help some people understand themselves, but others rather not to label and to just go with the flow of how we feel! Thats totally okay too!

We can find someone attractive, but not be attracted to them, if that makes sense? Like we can see someone and think they look good but wouldn't want to be in a relationship with them! That can be confusing enough in itself, so be kind to yourself through all of this <3

Like Coco said, maybe reaching out to someone who supported you with your OCD before could help with these feelings too, they might be able help to navigate what are obessive thoughts, and what are just exploring how you feel? :)
    Ed_
  • coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 806 Part of The Mix Family
    You're welcome @alkazar2002! :heart:
  • ben2607ben2607 Posts: 8 Confirmed not a robot
    Hey , from the perspective of a gay 17 year old I think I can offer some thoughts . Whatever the case is , physically attracted to both sexes but emotionally attracted to just one : You don’t have to label it! This is a part of your identity and sometimes trying to define something without letting it just be can really effect us . I tried to label my sexuality and kept switching between bi/ straight / gay before I decided , it’s just a fluid in me so doesn’t need an accurate name or label . As long as you feel happy and well and it doesn’t trouble you too much then time with help develop that identity as a person and experience may even influence that view . Relationships come in all forms and shapes , let it fit around you and not make yourself fit around expectations. You’ve got this and you can always PM me with anymore thoughts !