Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Feeling Hopeless

Brave3Brave3 Posts: 5 Confirmed not a robot
edited February 2021 in Health & Wellbeing
I am really struggling with having no physical contact for this long. I'm starting to feel really empty and starting to think there is no hope of things getting back to normal.

I graduated in August 2020, and since then I've been really feeling a lack of purpose. The job market is really rubbish at the moment due to Covid-19, and local community services where I wanted to volunteer at are currently closed.

I'm losing interest in doing anything else. I'm sick of being at home, with not much else to do except scroll through social media, watch the news, or spend hours on YouTube. When I do manage to go on walks and stuff (which I used to enjoy), I am just aware of how alone I am, and it really gets me down. I am crying every day and angry all the time.

I live with my family who are busy every day working or home-schooling. And when they're not, they would rather talk to their friends online rather than spend physical time together. It feels like living with strangers. I haven't felt able to talk to any of my own friends as they take weeks to respond, possibly due to dealing with stuff of their own during this time. I don't know, I just know that I feel really lonely, and I'm tired of only looking at screens to pass the time.

Comments

• Past UserPast User Posts: 0 Just got here

Hi. Sending lots of hugs. We’re always happy to listen whenever you need anything. Covid is absolutely awful and lonely but talking here has helped me so much and I hope it helps you too.

Well done on graduating but I’m really sorry it’s been really hard ever since. Being on a long journey and reaching the end can feel really good but it can also be really tough to move on to the the next of chapter of our lives especially when we’re not sure what that is. I’m really sorry about the organisations being shut. Are there any online services you could volunteer with or maybe classes you could join. I know a few people who have joined online fitness classes to help them interact with others and motivate them. 

I definitely relate to feeling stuck in a cycle of walks and social media. One thing that helped make the days pass faster for me we routine and making my own schedule of when I walk the dog , do work and relax. I also cut down my screen time a lot my finding hobbies like reading and  arts and crafts.

Lots of hugs. Have you ever been to the mix group chats every evening from 8 to 9:30 they can be a really good opportunity to talk to people and get things off your chest or just talk to others.

I’m sorry I can’t offer better advice, and sorry if I came across patronising. Always happy to listen if you ever need anything. Sending big hug’s.  <3

• coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    Hey @Brave3

Sending hugs your way :heart:

Firstly, I think @SpaceOtter has summed up everything I would say, so I'd love to echo what they've said. 

And yes, a huge congratulations on graduating! I understand that graduating can be a difficult time in general in sense of finding our purpose beyond that, however it must be even more difficult graduating in the pandemic. So I wanted to say I'm so proud of you for getting through your degree, and I really hope that you are feeling a little better so soon. 

Space otter's idea of online volunteering is certainly something you could look into. There's a website called Do-it which helps you to find lots of volunteer opportunities across different regions - perhaps this is something you could look into?

I am struggling with the lack of physical contact too, and one of the ways I'm coping is finding things with a strong sensory feel. For example, I got a 'warmie' which is a soft toy that you warm up in the microwave. So not only is it something to cuddle, it's also warm which is a really soothing sensation. Just something to think about. 

I know it can feel like things will never get back to normal - it's such a tiring period of uncertainty. However, I heard somebody say that with each day that passes, we get one day closer to this being over. And I love that. With every difficult day, you are one day closer to the best days. :heart: