Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Stress vs Burnout (the difference)

LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
Hey folks! Stress day got me thinking about stress and burn out. And how sometimes it's hard to tell the difference! :)

A 2018 study from the mental health foundation found that in the past year 74% of them felt so stressed they were overwhelmed or unable to cope.
Link here: https://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/statistics/mental-health-statistics-stress

As for burn out. The BBC states that 595,000 people in the UK alone suffered from workplace stress in 2018.

So how can you tell the difference? 
Stress characteristics
• You put too much effort into things.
• You experience emotions more strongly.
• It can cause hyperactivity.
• You have less energy.
• It can lead to anxiety.
• And have physical consequences.
As for Burnout characteristics.
• Little or no input.
• You experience your emotions flattening out.
• Causes a helpless feeling.
• You possess less motivation and hope.
• Can lead to Depression.
• And emotional consequences.
For more info why not take a stress test: https://www.bemindfulonline.com/test-your-stress
And here's a burnout test: https://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newTCS_08.htm

So what can you do? Here's some tips for both! ❤️
Stress tips:
• Exercise
• Light a candle or incense(soothing smells such as lavender, rose, chamomile) 
• Reduce caffeine intake
• Write down what is stressing you out.
• Chew gum.
• Spend time with loved ones.
• Learn to say no. To the stress you can control.
• Practice mindfulness.
• Listen to music.
• Reach out for support.
Burn out tips:
• Reach out to those close to you.
• Limit your contact with negative people.
• Find balance in your life through the things you love.
• Take time off.
• Set boundaries (learning to say no!) 
• Take a break from social media.
• Nourish your creative side.
• Get plenty of sleep.
• Set aside time for you.
• Exercise.
• Reach out for support.

If you're feeling stressed or burnt out. Look after yourself, you're doing awesome but you are only one person ❤️ 

If anyone else has any tips feel free to add them! 

And finally, you made it! Here's a doggo x

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld

Comments

• Options
    Anch0r33Anch0r33 Posts: 1,201 Wise Owl
    What do I do about burnout within my sports? Think it's been for a while now tbh, I'm so competitive I'm at the stage I don't enjoy it as much as I used to. I put so much pressure on myself and feel like I should be achieving so much. 
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `
  • Options
    Sounds really tough @Anch0r33 ! ❤️ 

I've always thought the important thing about work, hobbies, sports etc, is that you enjoy it.

I can relate myself with most things I get so competitive that I don't enjoy it anymore. It makes me angry lol

You've already figured out what it is so that's great. Maybe now think about why you get so competitive and burnt out? You say you put pressure on yourself where does that come from? 

Are you worried about letting team down, yourself, or because you think you should be doing better? X

Another good one is not comparing yourself to anyone. Everyone is at their own paces in life you don't have to match that :) 
    Don't think in absolute terms. For instance (a team mate gets praised and you may think its because you did awful) when really you did great too.

Self esteem can have a big effect too. Often times competitiveness comes from believing you are not good enough and feeling like you need to give more. Be kind to yourself you're doing awesome! X

(Sorry for this wall of text!)
    Lastly on the burn out situation. Try and rekindle why you're there. Why did you join the team? What passion and love did you used to feel for it? Why has that passion gone?
    A break may help reset.

Always here to listen ❤️

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

• Options
    Anch0r33Anch0r33 Posts: 1,201 Wise Owl
    Hope you don't mind me answering them here. 

I'm going to answer them for all 3 of my sports because tbh I think it's happened with all of them. 

Judo - individual sport 

I think I put a lot of pressure on myself. I left the sport for almost 4 years to go abroad. I've come back and people that I was competing with have obviously progressed and that's stressful. I'm expecting myself to be at their level but often leave out the fact that they've been doing it for 4 years while I was away. 

I'm back on the Scotland team straight away and trying for a scholarship to take it full time but I'm not physically where everyone else is. Judo fit and general fit are two very different things. 

My first tournament abroad since returning back was in Denmark - I was the only one on the Scotland team that went not to win a fight. The coach was one of the ones that I don't usually have, but had before I went away. I think he expected a lot of me and didn't really consider the fact that I was away. It was very upsetting and I was definitely in tears a lot that day. 

In general my self esteem is shit, I've been working with my sports psychologist for this. 

Ice hockey - team sport 

With the ice hockey I think there's a lot of pressure because I played for teams abroad in a good league. Then I come back and I'm not as good as my peers. I was a late starter to the sport so the years abroad helped me catch up rather than get better. I think I expect myself to be better or others expect me to be good and I feel like a disappointment. 

I finished joint second point scorer on my uni team and was top female scorer but I'm bad for comparing myself to others. I feel I don't get credit for anything I do on this team and it's really frustrating. I helped set up the team and scored their first ever goal and there was no fuss whatsoever. I didn't even get man of the match that day. 

It's like I'm expected to get on with everything happily without any praise whatsoever. I play for a women's team in the top two divisions in the UK and I get so much feedback after nearly every single shift - going from that to nothing is obviously disheartening. In my all women's uni team that I ended up leaving, I was expected to lead a line of total beginners whilst being expected to put up points. I'm a team player and not capable of doing everything by myself - I like to have linemates that I can rely on, not be the one to be relied on. There's a lot of pressure everywhere from that - myself, my linemates, my team and my coach. It got too much and I ended up stepping back from that team. 

Ball hockey - 

There's a major difference between the men and women in ball hockey, but we all play mixed together. I'm captain of my ball hockey team and I'm the only female (was voted in by my teammates) so there's pressure there that they expect me to lead. In ball hockey I often let my emotions control me and sometimes end up getting so frustrated at myself. My bf is my coach and he plays as well with us. I think I put a lot of pressure on myself to impress and do well for him, but also lead the team well. Sometimes the tensions will rise and we'll end up shouting at each other. We're always fine after games but it's not fun. One time we had an argument - he was on the court and I was on the bench and we were waiting for the ball to drop after a goal. We were proper shouting at each other. It really threw me off on my next shift. I made a mistake and cost us the game. 

I think I put a lot of this pressure on myself. I expect myself to do well, but I don't believe in my abilities at the same time. I feel like I should be doing well with all of it but in reality I feel like I'm just underperforming in general. 

On top of this I'm trying to do a lot of good work at uni, and feel like I'm just not cracking anything. 

I like winning and doing well. And I put a lot of emotion and commitment into my sports. When I don't do well, I always get very disappointed. I can bounce back well but I just get on with everything, I don't really take time to stop and recover, physically or mentally. 

(_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `
  • Options
    Sounds like a lot to take on alone especially ice hockey!  Its a team sport and you don't to have gotten any recognition or support which you clearly deserved! ❤️ 
    Taking the time to recover can be really beneficial! Its great you bounce back but it's also good to focus on your emotions and check in with yourself :)

It definitely sounds like more self confidence could be helpful and it's good you're working on it! 

It makes sense you would want to impress your bf I can get that, in those situations it can get quite competitive so it's good you're both fine after but it doesn't sound most pleasant at time! ❤️

I can understand the judo was disappointing but I think it's good to remember you had time away. They always say practice makes perfect after all! it's not your fault and you didn't let anyone down x

Winning is great but I think it's handy to remember we don't always win and it was a great honor to take part in it too :)

🌈Positive thoughts🌈