Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Should I break up with my boyfriend

Username223Username223 Posts: 1 Just got here
Hello

I'm really struggling because I'm not sure if I should break up with my boyfriend or not.
I want to break up with him is because I don't like some parts of his personality, but I don't know if that's normal in a relationship or it's a sign I should end things.
For example I don't like that he likes to follow rules and sometimes when we watch TV together I find him so annoying and he says really gross stuff. Or this one time in the supermarket he was acting really weirdly and trying to make everyone in the supermarket laugh and it was really embarrassing.
When we lived together briefly over lockdown I found it really stressful
But when we're together I'm really happy with him and we laugh all the time and it's generally a great relationship and I'm attracted to him etc.
But then when I think of things about him that I love I cant think of much
But when I think about things about him that I don't like there's quite a lot of stuff
There's so much that I don't like about him and not much that I like about him
But when we're together in public I'm really happy with him and we have such a nice time and we laugh so much and he's the only person I really feel like I can be myself around.
If I break up with him I feel like I'll be so lonely

I don't really know if I should break up with him or stay with him, I don't know if I'm overthinking or these are really problems

Comments

• Options
    Tee ATee A Posts: 123 The Mix Convert
    Hey @Username223 !

Sounds like you have been doing a lot of thinking! I think this is a good idea. Breaking up with someone will never not feel difficult.

I have attached an article which discusses things you may considered / things that can help you decide whether you should break up or not. I think it's very helpful.
    https://www.themix.org.uk/sex-and-relationships/relationships/should-we-break-up-4514.html

I think maybe spending some time apart as a kind of "trial run" would be a good idea. This way you know you could always undo the decision if it wasn't what you expected. 

I hope this helps! 

Stay safe! 
  • Options
    Anch0r33Anch0r33 Posts: 1,201 Wise Owl
    Why don't you don't to your boyfriend and ask him why he's doing these things? Is it to try and impress you? Maybe he thinks he needs to impress you in crazy ways. 

You say you're really happy when you're with him and you laugh all the time and are attracted to him. That sounds like love to me. 

Ultimately it's your decision but try weighing up the pros and cons of the relationship - breaking up - staying together etc. Anything that you need to consider make a list. 
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `