Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

True or False: I am more likely to try something if I know others would be impressed

StarlightStarlight Posts: 1,436 Wise Owl
Today I followed along with an Instagram live for journalling and this was today's topic/ question. I wrote my entry for today and then thought I wonder what other people would answer and what they think about the topic. 
I found writing about this topic quite freeing and opened up some thoughts I never knew where there and I will definitely be trying to continue journalling every other day or so.

So what are your opinions? I'm curious to see what others think. 
“I got you, moonlight, you're my starlight
I need you all night, come on, dance with me”

* Shine like the star you are! *

True or False: I am more likely to try something if I know others would be impressed 7 votes

True
28%
DistractionStarlight 2 votes
False
28%
LaineAnneFrypan 2 votes
Other (e.g. not sure)
42%
Past UserEyepatchGreenTea 3 votes

Comments

• Options
    True
    I said true, as I think I subconsciously think about what others think about almost everything I do. However, this is a habit I want to break as I know its not a healthy one and I know it holds me back from time to time and makes unneeded worry and stress. I think society and social media play a large part in this as there is often a lot of pressure placed on people to act and look a certain way and people then begin to put labels on people for not "fitting in" which can be highly destructive and unhealthy. That is why I've recently begun to try and change my outlook on social media, posting what I want and not what everyone else does, yes that means not everything people see will be "perfect" buts it's my life and no one else's, I love my own life and want to celebrate that and if anyone has a problem with it it's their problem, not mine. I've begun to realise there is more to life than other people's opinions, people fought so hard for freedom, and from now on I will be taking advantage of what that gives me. So yes I might be more likely to try something if I know others would be impressed, but that's only for now and hopefully sometime soon I'll be able to turn around and say no I am more likely to do something if I want to do it, I'm in charge of my own life and no one else should dictate the things I want to do. 

• Options
    True
    Aidan said:
    I'm not sure, on the one hand you could impress people so you might be motivated to work on it to get yourself somewhere, on the other hand if people are expecting to be impressed anything less than perfect might be a dissappointment so you might dread it or be more stressed by it!
    Interesting outlook I didn't think about it like that at all!

• Options
    AnneFrypanAnneFrypan Posts: 335 The Mix Regular
    False
    Honestly, I do not think so, I rather do stuff for myself and my own enjoyment. If I want to do it I will do it if others are impressed or not. 
  • Options
    EyepatchEyepatch Posts: 666 Incredible Poster
    Other (e.g. not sure)
    Depends on the thing, sometimes I try new stuff but don’t tell anyone because I’m not on social media very much, I just don’t really feel like I need to share everything I do. But if I try something and I’m happy and proud of the results then I might share it because it’s a personal achievement and if I had fun then maybe others might try it and have fun too. 

It’s interesting to see everyone’s responses :) 
    "Sometimes we find ourselves stuck between choosing what is right, and what is easy."