Home We Need You
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What would you like to know?

ZenZen Posts: 1,989 Extreme Poster
Hey guys! 

A member of The Mix's Youth Voice Panel, Emma, is completing some research on what information young people are seeking through search engines and social media. 

During the coronavirus pandemic, young people have been limited to where they can access education resources, even more so with the closure of schools and libraries! So what's the easiest way for most people to access information? Social media and the internet! 

Emma would like to know...
  • What information do you want to know that aren't being taught in mainstream school?
  • What do you search for that isn't on the news or perhaps at home? 
A few examples may be mental health, political situations, protests, sexuality ect

Emma would appreciate any responses, the findings from this will all be kept anonymous as always :) 

If you have any questions, feel free to drop them below! 
Alis propriis volat 

Comments

• Options
    HarryTHarryT Community Manager Posts: 320 The Mix Regular
    Hey Eleanor, and Emma!

Here's some of my thoughts:
    • What information do you want to know that aren't being taught in mainstream school?
    A few things that I think are really lacking in schools include proper education around consent and sexual health. It's something I remember it being addressed with really poorly at school anyways. 

As a History lover, I have a massive problem with how this subject is taught in mainstream education too. Information about diverse experiences and immigration are totally ignored, and race is presented as an American problem. We need to get better at using the education system to face up to our uncomfortable past.

• What do you search for that isn't on the news or perhaps at home?
    Info that I tend to look for (besides the boring stuff like the opening times of my local shop and phone number for a takeaway) includes advice of managing my money and finances, in the hope I won't have to live off pot noodles for the last week of the month because I have no money left. 

Hope that this is helpful!
    Hello amazing human (yes, that's YOU). I wish that you could see the amazing person who I see within you  ✨
  • Options
    LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    For the first question I think it could be beneficial to teach children in school more about sexuality and gender. 
    I'm aware mermaids come in sometimes but it's rare and met with resistance.
    I don't see anything wrong with teaching them about such things at the same age as they learn sex Ed.

Following on sex Ed really needs to be up to scratch, girls should know what birth control is out there, there should be more sexuality friendly advice such as dental dam usage. 
    It may even be beneficial for the boys to learn about birth control and such too.

I also agree with Aidan adulting is great children Don't get taught how to handle bills, benefits etc and  mental health awareness!

For the second question. I often search for the bigger picture.
    The news handles the now but it never gives enough information I often search for info on a political standpoint.

I Google lots of things that interest me as I love learning about biology and things. College never provides us with enough info so I find my own aha

I find young people are more inclined to look up things like mental health and addiction as it really doesn't get talked about much in the media. And they may feel shameful as Aidan pointed out. :)

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
  • Options
    DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,788 Master Poster
    edited August 2020
    What information do you want to know that aren't being taught in mainstream school?

I would like to know more about life skills for in the future so young people can prepare for being adults and being out in the world independently.

Also, like what @Laine said, I think that it could be useful to teach children and young people about gender and sexuality. Hopefully it could help with any stigma that is around because sometimes stigma can come from a lack of knowledge or understanding about something rather than just ignorance.

What do you search for that isn't on the news or perhaps at home? 

I search up stuff about mental health and particularly anxiety. My family don't really understand or care about mental health so it isn't spoken about much at home.

Just like what @Laine and @Aidan said, mental health and other topics related to mental health are not particularly spoken about in the media.

This could be due to a feeling of shame or any stigma attached to it (although I really do believe that there shouldn't really be any stigma about mental health as anyone can struggle with their mental health and it should be spoken about without shame if people want to speak up about it.)
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    "I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 
  • Options
    Thank you everyone for your responses so far, I know Emma will really appreciate it! 
    Alis propriis volat 
  • Options
    I'm going to be feeding back to Emma today so if you have anymore answers then leave a comment! :)
    Alis propriis volat 
  • Options
    Past UserPast User Posts: 0 Just got here
    Agree with pretty much all of what people said here. Just to follow on the mental health point, I think I only recall one occasion where we had a guest speaker in at school to talk about mental health. 

I understand that it's a difficult topic to teach, but I think that maybe explaining more about mental health to younger people might, over time, go some way towards reducing the stigma around mental health. Things I'd consider going over would be:
    .) Chemical explanations for and results of low mood and anxiety. I.e. seratonin, dopamine, norepinephrine levels.
    .) Physical symptoms of low mood and anxiety.
    .) Coping strategies and treatment options that have been found to work, and how to access them.
  • Options
    Thank you! @Spook98
    Alis propriis volat