Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Meds

independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
Sorry for starting so many topics recently but I’d really appreciate if anyone could share experiences if that’s ok to ask.

I’ve been put on sertraline. I’m at a point where I’m willing to try anything...has anyone on here taken it before and did you have any side effects? That’s what I’m most nervous about. I’ve been referred for therapy too but apparently the waiting lists are long so my GP suggested I try meds for the time being.

Would appreciate hearing experiences with sertraline or other meds because I’ll be honest I’m a bit nervous.
“Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”

Comments

• Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,143 Part of The Furniture
    Hey :) 

Its important to remember that everyone will experience side effects differently , what one person may get , someone may not . 

I was switched from fluoxetine to sertraline for a short while but I found myself better on fluoxetine so I was swapped back.

It does take a good 6 weeks to get into your system so remember to give it chance to get in your system 💜

I hope you find it works for you 
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
  • independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    Hey :) 

Its important to remember that everyone will experience side effects differently , what one person may get , someone may not . 

I was switched from fluoxetine to sertraline for a short while but I found myself better on fluoxetine so I was swapped back.

It does take a good 6 weeks to get into your system so remember to give it chance to get in your system 💜

I hope you find it works for you 
    Thank you @Millie2787 <3 yeah the said it can take quite a while to work so to give it chance and they’ll see me again in 2 weeks to see how I’m getting on. 
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
    Yeah they tend to like to keep a close on how things are going to begin with just whilst it settles into your system 💜
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
    Yeah they tend to like to keep a close on how things are going to begin with just whilst it settles into your system 💜
    @Millie2787 Yeah that makes sense I’m quite nervous but hopefully it works 
  • MilsyRoseMilsyRose Posts: 198 Trailblazer
    Please could you let me know what it is like to be on antidepressants? Just asking since it has been mentioned before about me being put on them. Do they help?
  • GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    edited August 2020
    Sorry for starting so many topics recently but I’d really appreciate if anyone could share experiences if that’s ok to ask.

I’ve been put on sertraline. I’m at a point where I’m willing to try anything...has anyone on here taken it before and did you have any side effects? That’s what I’m most nervous about. I’ve been referred for therapy too but apparently the waiting lists are long so my GP suggested I try meds for the time being.

Would appreciate hearing experiences with sertraline or other meds because I’ll be honest I’m a bit nervous.

Hey lovely. I didn't really have many side effects with sertraline. I did feel worse bit when the meds settled after a few weeks, it really really did help.
    I was then switched to mirtazapine to try and also improve my sleep disorder
    Have they started you on a low dose?
    MilsyRose said:
    Please could you let me know what it is like to be on antidepressants? Just asking since it has been mentioned before about me being put on them. Do they help?
    I will let you know of course @MilsyRose I hope they do help me I’ve honestly never felt so low or been this bad with anxiety. My GP said that sertraline is the medication she usually prescribes to young women around my age but I think every GP has a different view on that.
    GreenTea said:

Hey lovely. I didn't really have many side effects with sertraline. I did feel worse bit when the meds settled after a few weeks, it really really did help.
    I was then switched to mirtazapine to try and also improve my sleep disorder
    Have they started you on a low dose?
    Thank you for sharing your experience @GreenTea that’s reassuring <3

Yeah they’ve started me on a really low dose just waiting for my prescription to arrive at the chemist later today. My GP has booked me in for another appointment in 2 weeks to see how I’m getting on with them.
    That's really positive they will see you in 2 weeks. My GP did the same and it was really reassuring to know they are keeping track of me mentally and physically while starting meds. 

I really hope it helps, don't be hard on yourself if you start to feel worse, do reach out to your GP if it's unbearable though, just let it take it time to settle into your system
    GreenTea said:
    That's really positive they will see you in 2 weeks. My GP did the same and it was really reassuring to know they are keeping track of me mentally and physically while starting meds. 

I really hope it helps, don't be hard on yourself if you start to feel worse, do reach out to your GP if it's unbearable though, just let it take it time to settle into your system
    Thank you @GreenTea <3 yeah it’s reassuring to have that follow up appointment. I’m really lucky really that there is a GP at my practice who is really understanding of things related to mental health and I managed to get an appointment with her. She really understood, and I’m not used to people understanding me aha. 

Thank you for the reassurance.
    You've got this 💕
    MilsyRose said:
    I will let you know of course @MilsyRose I hope they do help me I’ve honestly never felt so low or been this bad with anxiety. My GP said that sertraline is the medication she usually prescribes to young women around my age but I think every GP has a different view on that.
    Thank you, Elle! I am so sorry to hear that things are getting worse for you, hopefully the medication helps you. I am 16 and I have been told that they don't want to give me antidepressants just yet, people did want me on them but I guess the doctors don't want me to just yet - maybe I should tell them that things are getting worse though. 
    MilsyRose said:
    MilsyRose said:
    Thank you, Elle! I am so sorry to hear that things are getting worse for you, hopefully the medication helps you. I am 16 and I have been told that they don't want to give me antidepressants just yet, people did want me on them but I guess the doctors don't want me to just yet - maybe I should tell them that things are getting worse though. 
    @MilsyRose I’m 17, almost 18 my GP said that because this has been going on for so long and it’s getting worse the meds are just my best option atm with really close monitoring. 
    I do hope they help @independent_ 💕💕 you are a lovely person and deserve to feel your best 💕💕💕
    GreenTea said:
    I do hope they help @independent_ 💕💕 you are a lovely person and deserve to feel your best 💕💕💕
    @GreenTea awww that’s so sweet of you to say <3<3 thank you so much!
    MilsyRose said:
    MilsyRose said:
    @MilsyRose I’m 17, almost 18 my GP said that because this has been going on for so long and it’s getting worse the meds are just my best option atm with really close monitoring. 
    I turn 17 in a few months. I am in a similar position where it has been going on for ages and it has only got worse so perhaps I should speak to them, I don't know.
    MilsyRose said:
    MilsyRose said:
    MilsyRose said:
    I turn 17 in a few months. I am in a similar position where it has been going on for ages and it has only got worse so perhaps I should speak to them, I don't know.
    Definitely worth speaking to them @MilsyRose I’ve heard that some GP’s never prescribe meds before 18 so it may depend on who you see. But if they can’t prescribe anything they should be able to see about getting you some other help.

As I said before I’ve also been referred to CBT but my GP said the waiting lists can be really long here.
    MilsyRose said:
    MilsyRose said:
    MilsyRose said:
    Definitely worth speaking to them @MilsyRose I’ve heard that some GP’s never prescribe meds before 18 so it may depend on who you see. But if they can’t prescribe anything they should be able to see about getting you some other help.

As I said before I’ve also been referred to CBT but my GP said the waiting lists can be really long here.
    Mhm! Perhaps I'll try and catch up with someone about it then. I went to CAMHS, absolutely rubbish and they didn't arrange any support for me.
    MilsyRose said:
    MilsyRose said:
    MilsyRose said:
    MilsyRose said:

Mhm! Perhaps I'll try and catch up with someone about it then. I went to CAMHS, absolutely rubbish and they didn't arrange any support for me.
    Ah I’m sorry to hear they weren’t useful @MilsyRose i hope you find something that helps soon.
    MilsyRose said:
    MilsyRose said:
    MilsyRose said:
    MilsyRose said:

Ah I’m sorry to hear they weren’t useful @MilsyRose i hope you find something that helps soon.
    Thank you!!! I have counselling with The Mix, hopefully they're better. :)
    Ahhh yeah both @independent_ and @MilsyRose they are cautious with prescribing under the age of 18 it’s too a lot of back and forth with My Gp and the duty psych to have them prescribe anti-depressants.
    Ahhh yeah @MilsyRose they are cautious with prescribing under the age of 18 it’s too a lot of back and forth with My Gp and the duty psych to have them prescribe anti-depressants.
    It is quite annoying, haha.
    MilsyRose said:
    Ahhh yeah @MilsyRose they are cautious with prescribing under the age of 18 it’s too a lot of back and forth with My Gp and the duty psych to have them prescribe anti-depressants.

Thsres a reason for it @MilsyRose... It's not recommended unless absolutely necessary..  if you search it up you'll see why. Won't post as it's a massive trigger warning. 
    GreenTea said:
    MilsyRose said:

Thsres a reason for it @MilsyRose... It's not recommended unless absolutely necessary..  if you search it up you'll see why. Won't post as it's a massive trigger warning. 
    Yeah, I do understand that but like when you have no support or anything at all then things become worse, it's like ugh.
    Yeah @MilsyRose I think the benefits have to massively outweigh the risks for them to prescribe. I think in my case by the time I get through the waiting lists, I’ll be 18 anyway and would probably be a hell of a lot worse if I had no support at all. But they’re watching it very closely 
    Yeah @MilsyRose I think the benefits have to massively outweigh the risks for them to prescribe. I think in my case by the time I get through the waiting lists, I’ll be 18 anyway and would probably be a hell of a lot worse if I had no support at all. But they’re watching it very closely 
    Mhm. My mum wants me on them but they were like nope.
    Hope you are doing ok @independent_
    Are you starting them tonight or tomorrow?
    MilsyRose said:
    Mhm. My mum wants me on them but they were like nope.
    I guess they must think it would put you at risk more than it’d benefit you @MilsyRose and they are risks which are taken really really seriously for a very good reason. 
    GreenTea said:
    Hope you are doing ok @independent_
    Are you starting them tonight or tomorrow?
    @GreenTea yeah I’m alright quite anxious today but just trying to distract myself.

I’m starting tonight, I’m used to taking tablets every day at night so that makes more sense. I’m just really hoping it helps
    Ah that's good that tablets are already in your routine.. ( I mean not good but like good as in your use to taking them at a certain time already)

Is there anything we can do to help with distractions?