Home Gender & Sexuality
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Coming out

SandyDaze12SandyDaze12 Posts: 10 Settling in
Hi!
so I’ve recently figured out my gender; I’m a genderqueer demigirl who likes she/her and they/them pronouns. Not even sure if both of those terms fit together but anyways...

i attend an all-girls school and I might come out to my friends soon. But there’s the thing. It’s an all girls school. I’m sure there’s a couple of people there who identify as something other than 100% cisgender but I don’t know how my friends will react.

i know that a handful of my friends are LGBTQ+ or allies of them so that’s an upside, but even so I’m not sure.

What do? Thanks in advance!
I'm just doing my best, dammit! Is that good enough for you?
...Will it ever be good enough for you?

Comments

• LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    First off congrats on figuring out your gender :)

Its tricky i know because you are never truly certain how others will react. 
    based on statistics there is likely to be someone at your school who is genderqueer. 

The best advice i can give is to first maybe come out to someone you trust the most, pick a friend you think will most be supportive and test the waters. 

You could possibly bring up conversations maybe about popular LGBT people get their opinions and see what they think?

I don't think you can ever fully predict how people will react, its important to know that true friends won't mind :)

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
  • PoppyBPoppyB Posts: 228 Trailblazer
    Hey @SandyDaze12, welcome to The Mix! It's great to see you posting on the forums for advice, we have a really kind and supportive community here :)

It's wonderful to hear that you have figured out your gender identity and sexuality! Coming out is a very personal process and there are many different ways to do it, whether through sitting down face-to-face or through a letter or by texting - there is no right or wrong way.

How would you feel about firstly coming out to your LGBT+ friends? As @Laine said, it might help to start talking to people who you know will be non-judgemental - once you have told one person, it may feel easier to tell your other friends at school when you are ready.

It’s important to remember that you are not alone, and that you should be proud of who you are <3 If you need any further support, the LGBT Switchboard helpline is available every day from 10am - 10pm on 0300 330 0630 

The Mix also has a really great article here on coming out that is worth a read: https://www.themix.org.uk/sex-and-relationships/gender-and-sexuality/how-to-come-out-3741.html

Please let us know how you get on :)