Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Worried about health

pumpkinpiepumpkinpie Posts: 129 The Mix Convert
Hey, hope everyone’s staying safe in these uncertain times :)

I’ve had an ongoing health problem, mostly to do with my heart,  for a few years now and since earlier this year I’ve experienced new symptoms (unsure if related or not). I moved away for uni last year and since then things just seemed to get worse and I was in and out the doctors and ended up having to go to the hospital at one point with abdominal pains. Nobody knows what’s wrong with me but my uni GP has referred me for an appointment with a cardiologist and a scan to investigate my pains but both are obviously currently on hold. 

I’ve now come back to live with my parents during lockdown and keep getting random bouts of various symptoms with no apparent trigger but it’s just making me more anxious which is probably making things worse. I have to be extra careful doing everything. I know I can’t really do anything apart from sit tight and hope it doesn’t get worse again before I can go to these hospital appointments but it’s worrying me. I’d phone my old GP practice at home but I’d be worried they wouldn’t even let me speak to a doctor since I’m not technically registered there anymore but I wouldn’t want to phone the practice at uni in case they asked me to come in and I can’t because it’s 100+ miles away so I’d be wasting their time. 

I know it’s not serious or I would’ve been referred a lot quicker and I feel bad because there’s people in a much worse situation than me. I just don’t want to be constantly worrying. 

Comments

• DandelionDandelion Posts: 1,911 Extreme Poster
    If your worried about it you could always phone you uni GP and ask for a telephone appointment and explain to them that since your at home there is no way of coming in. I think you can temporarily register as a patient at another GP as well so I don’t know if you would maybe be able to do that at your home GP x
    The steps you take don’t need to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction. 
  • pumpkinpiepumpkinpie Posts: 129 The Mix Convert
    Thanks @Dandelion I did phone my home GP the week I came back but they weren’t very clear about it, if I wanted to register temporarily I’d have to prove I genuinely needed to see a doctor- but they weren’t accepting any registrations because of covid. 
  • coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    Hi @pumpkinpie

I am wondering if you have tried speaking to the NHS 111? You explained your situation well here, so if you were able to explain it to them as well then they make be able to advise you further and put you in contact with the right form of support. You could even let them know about the difficulties with registering with your GP in this time, so they can help you with that obstacle :smile:

I hope you are okay. I know it's easier said than done, but please do not worry about other people being in a worse situation. That doesn't minimise your importance - your health will always be important :heart:
    Thanks @coc0mac

I had considered that since I phoned 111 when I had a similar problem. I’ll see how the next few days go since I can have long periods where I’m fine then I’m suddenly not.

It's always good to know that they are there with as an option :smile: Take good care! x @pumpkinpie
    @coc0mac @Dandelion thanks, eventually did phone my GP surgery at home who registered me as a temporary resident and got one of the doctors to call me back. Thankfully they didn’t think it was anything serious, got some tablets for when it flares up. 
  • DandelionDandelion Posts: 1,911 Extreme Poster
    @pumpkinpie That’s good I’m glad you managed to get it sorted x
    The steps you take don’t need to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction. 
    Glad to hear! thank you for the positive update @pumpkinpie x