Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

being a carer in lockdown

BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
edited December 2022 in Health & Wellbeing
been thinking about posting this for a while but been put off cause im not sure if theres anything anyone can do but yeahh

its just with this lockdown the shops are closing early, im a carer and still working so its hard to get supplies in, I do go on my days off but most of the time things are sold out, does anyone have any ways of dealing with this?
normally my dad or sister would help out but cause my dad is high risk he  doesntt want to leave his house to help which I understand and my sister just cant be bothered, but I am also high risk and basically have to do this stuff.
im also worried cause my mams medication is in short supply and im afraid theyre gonna run out of it, im worried about getting covid-19 at work and passing it onto her.
im just exhausted, they've furloughed over half my team at work so its extra work for the ones that are left and its draining me, then having to come home when the shops are now closed and having to do all my carer stuff while still trying to find time for myself, which isn't going well.
does anyone have any tips for looking after yourself when you're busy as anything?
im also trying to support my dad while grieving myself, his friend passed away due to covid-19, and he doesn't live with us so all I can do is try my best to support him over the phone, I normally care for my dad aswell but that has gotten easier since his accident, he finally realised he needed carers in to help as well as me, so that's the only comfort I have just now.
' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
Post edited by TheMix on

Comments

• Options
    AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,031 Boards Guru
    @BubblesGoesBoo It sounds like a lot of pressure you're under at the moment trying to balance work, being a carer, looking after the rest of your family and also trying to look after yourself. It's incredibly tough at the moment with Covid-19, you're alone in finding this difficult. You're doing an amazing job helping your family and it can be hard to find time to look after yourself when everything is really busy. What are some of the things you enjoy doing that you'd love to do more of? 

In terms of your mams medication, is there any support where you're living at the moment for that to be delivered to your home? A lot of people are coming together to form local community support groups so you might be to join and let them know you're a household that needs some additional support. They might be able to help with getting food supplies if you're out at work too.

You can find out if there's one in your area on the Government website here

I also found this great article on Carers UK's website which talks through your rights as a Carer and some guidance for working Carers. I hope you find it helpful. 

Keeping reaching out here for support, we're here for you <3
    Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤
  • Options
    Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,146 Part of The Furniture
    Hey Bubbles ,

Sorry I’ve only just seen this , I’m abit behind hahah ! 

Have you maybe got in touch with Tesco or other supermarkets and see if they can place you on there vulnerable list who get priority access to there click and collect / Delivery slots ? If you explain what’s going on or potentially see if they will allow you in during there vulnerable shopping hours as a carer ?

In terms of Mams medication have you spoke to the pharmacy to convey your worries ? Maybe there be able to give you peace of mind about them being able to keep supply of mams medication.

The mains thing is to try your hardest to make some time for yourself even if it’s just to do a face mask , you could even do one with mama and make it like a face mask movie night ? Not only are you getting some self care time but your getting to spend some time for mam

Your doing an amazing job and I really do understand how hard it is 💓 only a messsge away if you need me :) 
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
  • Options
    Aife said:
    @BubblesGoesBoo It sounds like a lot of pressure you're under at the moment trying to balance work, being a carer, looking after the rest of your family and also trying to look after yourself. It's incredibly tough at the moment with Covid-19, you're alone in finding this difficult. You're doing an amazing job helping your family and it can be hard to find time to look after yourself when everything is really busy. What are some of the things you enjoy doing that you'd love to do more of? 

In terms of your mams medication, is there any support where you're living at the moment for that to be delivered to your home? A lot of people are coming together to form local community support groups so you might be to join and let them know you're a household that needs some additional support. They might be able to help with getting food supplies if you're out at work too.

You can find out if there's one in your area on the Government website here

I also found this great article on Carers UK's website which talks through your rights as a Carer and some guidance for working Carers. I hope you find it helpful. 

Keeping reaching out here for support, we're here for you <3
    thanks for replying :) honestly I don't know what I enjoy, I never have time to myself anymore, in the time I do get I just do writing or sometimes photography.
    honestly I never thought of that, I know theres a fb group for my area, they wont be able to pick up mams meds but they might be able to help get other supplies in for us, but I just don't like asking for help haha, I did speak to my manager about it as she was wondering how im coping, so she is letting me out during my shift to nip home, check on mam and nip to the shop, its exhausting though and a bit of a rush. thanks for the article, ill have a look at it now :)<3
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
  • Options
    Hey Bubbles ,

Sorry I’ve only just seen this , I’m abit behind hahah ! 

Have you maybe got in touch with Tesco or other supermarkets and see if they can place you on there vulnerable list who get priority access to there click and collect / Delivery slots ? If you explain what’s going on or potentially see if they will allow you in during there vulnerable shopping hours as a carer ?

In terms of Mams medication have you spoke to the pharmacy to convey your worries ? Maybe there be able to give you peace of mind about them being able to keep supply of mams medication.

The mains thing is to try your hardest to make some time for yourself even if it’s just to do a face mask , you could even do one with mama and make it like a face mask movie night ? Not only are you getting some self care time but your getting to spend some time for mam

Your doing an amazing job and I really do understand how hard it is 💓 only a messsge away if you need me :) 
    Hey Millie :) thanks for replying...
    we are on the vulnerable list already but they may be stopping deliveries soon and theres no slots for 3 weeks … we would see about going to Tesco for the vulnerable shopping times but its 40 minute drive away and me and mam cant drive cause of medical reasons so its a bit tricky, my friend offers me a lift whenever shes going to town but cause of social distancing and she has a new born she doesn't want to risk mingling which is understandable. 
    they don't have a supply of her meds, she has to order it every week cause that's all they stock and its hard to get it just now apparently, theyre trying their best but they don't know much either, shes just been switched onto these meds so theyre trying not to take her off them ...
    I have NEVER seen my mam do a face mask haha but might see if she wants to join in on our virtual movie night :) thank you :)<3