Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

getting help for my anxiety (well trying)

christinaj123christinaj123 Posts: 32 Boards Initiate
I've never spoke to anyone apart from people in here, but i think i have social anxiety and it gets worse everyday and its got to the point where i struggle to focus on anything and i have multiple panic attacks a day. it started about a year and a half ago when i had just started secondary and i was always nervous and scared but i didn't think anything of it because everyone was obviously scared about going into secondary. it was about halfway through the year and i had the occasional panic attack, still didn't think anything of it. that year had finished and it was the summer of 2019 so i started worrying about the next school year and what classes id be put in and who would be in them for the entire of summer i was scared about it instead of enjoying summer. the new school year had started and i started realising that it wasn't normal to be having panic attacks everyday and worry as much as i do, so i researched everything that was happening to me and came up with the idea that i have anxiety, about October last year i signed up to the mix and it has honestly helped me quite a bit. i'm starting to open up and have almost talked to my pastoral care teacher about it several times and i know almost isn't that much but before i joined here i wouldn't have even dreamt of it. i know its going to take a long time, but i cant wait till the day i actually tell her because honestly i feel like the world is spinning around me and its on a constant loop that cant be stopped.

Comments

• Options
    BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    Hey @christinaj123

First of all well done for reaching out on here, you've made that first step which is great!
    it's normal to have anxiety around school, but there reaches a point where it becomes unhealthy, which I feel you are at now with having panic attacks. 
    im glad the mix has helped you :)
    What do you think would help you talk to your pastoral care teacher?
    have you thought about speaking to the GP about how you're feeling/coping?
    The mix have an article I think might help you :)
    https://www.themix.org.uk/mental-health/anxiety-ocd-and-phobias/coping-with-social-anxiety-29093.html

' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
  • Options
    christinaj123christinaj123 Posts: 32 Boards Initiate
    hey @BubblesGoesBoo

im not really sure exactly what would help me but i think if i had a really close friend that i talked to about it, it would help me talk to more people about it, but im not close with anyone as i kinda stopped talking to everyone.
    i dont feel like id be comfortable talking to my GP about it especialy since im under 16 and my mum has to come with me and make my appointments for me. 
  • Options
    BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    edited March 2020
    Do you have a good relationship with your mam? @christinaj123 I know it's daunting but it really helped me when my parents found out what I was going through, they helped support me.

you can always talk to us! I know it's not the same though, but there are other organizations like Samaritans or anxiety UK that could listen as well :)

have you looked up any books to help? There are LOADS out there to help with anxiety, like self help books and cbt workbooks which are really helpful, it's all about challenging those fears, as scary as it might be. <3

Edit: do you have a guidance counsellor at school? I believe you can talk to them and they keep it confidential unless you're in danger :)
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
  • Options
    SienaSiena Posts: 15,495 Skive's The Limit
    Hey. 

Its nice to see you seeking help on here And thinking of ways to move forward <3 anxiety takes a lot of energy so even that can feel like a lot <3 , school is a really hard time and so much pressure and so much to think about and you deserve that support. Worrying all the time is horrible. Hugs <3

do you know what stopped you from talking to people?  Thinking about the thought behind them can help. 

IM so glad that the mix has helped you since october. You're never alone here and someone is always willing to listen. Also you don't "have" to see your gp with your parents. Even if you're under 16 you can ring them your self and go to them and they don't tell them. Or unless she has to come for some other reason? But if not would you be willining to go By yourself? 

“And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley