Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Work

One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 599 Incredible Poster
who would have thought a employment could be so emotionally draining. I’ve had to flit from job to job, no ones fault. I lost my first job in a nursery due not being required anymore (I was a 1-2-1 and we didn’t get anymore children with needs in.)
from there I went to another nursery and lost my job because of my epilepsy I was only there for 5 months, I was unemployed for 2 months and then got another job with my friend which was originally supposed to be temporary (until The appreciates qualified) but then I was offered a full position... 2 weeks later I was told that the children they thought were joining the nursery didn’t so I lost my job again, I was there for 5 months. I’m not back at the first nursery doing 1-2-1 again in the morning. I started in October and I will hold the position until July at the very least.. I was helping out in the afternoon too which gave me 30hrs work. Unfortunately we have had a drop in children so now me and my friend are down to 12 hrs each. And while it gives me some money it’s under £100 a week a posed to the £218 I was getting, obviously me and my friend are looking for other jobs but there is 2 things in my mind 1 I don’t want to leave the child I look after, she needs my support and she’s only just got used to me and leaving would probably cause her to regress but also I’m starting to wonder... should I just give up? Every time I’ve lost my job my family always say the same thing... “you’re a tryer” meaning I don’t give up easily. But how much of “you’ve got a full time job” only to be told a few weeks later things have changed, can someone take.

Comments

• Options
    BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    Hey, im sorry you're going through this, it sounds tough... I don't have much support to offer as ive been in the same job forever but im only part time so I can still do education … could you look into keeping your current job of 12 hours a week and maybe looking for another part time job aswell? that way you wont be leaving the child youre looking after :) work can me VERY draining in itself so I don't know if that would be possible for you.

let us know what you decide to do :) 
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
  • Options
    Han93Han93 Posts: 309 The Mix Regular
    Hey @One-in-a-million

I just wanted to send you massive hugs <3 it sounds like you work so hard and you've been really unlucky with these jobs. I don't have any practical advice unfortunately but just want to keep telling you that you're doing amazing and to keep going :)
  • Options
    One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 599 Incredible Poster
    Thank you both, I just feel like even though I went to college and passed child care, I feel like I’ve failed. I even questioned one of my managers “is it something I’ve done?” She said it wasn’t but somehow I feel like I have. No one else seems to job hop so why do I? I suppose it wouldn’t be as bad if they didn’t offer me a position unless they knew I could stay. Each time I loose my job it’s like a punch to the stomach. I’m 25 in 2 weeks and I can’t even get long term employment 

I’ve thought about afternoon/evening  work but everywhere seems as if they want someone to work flexible hours which while I have my morning job isn’t going to work, I don’t know what other work I could do either. I’ve been put off retail due to bullying 
  • Options
    RileyRiley Moderator Posts: 991 Part of The Mix Family
    This all sounds like a really difficult situation to be in @One-in-a-million and it's totally understandable that the whole thing is making you feel drained. Something you might find helpful is to look at all the different kinds of work available nearby. It may be that there's a job that suits you that you hadn't thought about before, or it might even give you a boost of confidence that there is other work out there for you.

The only other thing I will say is to echo what others have mentioned in the thread, you're a really amazing and caring person and I think any child would be lucky to have you looking after them! I really hope you manage to find long-term employment soon, it sounds like it would be a big weight off your mind. <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.