Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

how can I deal with my diagnosis?

joyajoya Posts: 220 Trailblazer
recently my psychologist talked to me about my "supposed" diagnosis. She said that I had characteristics very close to borderline personality disorder and few (very few) traits of bipolarity.

I'm a bit neurotic with diagnoses, so when she revealed to me about the suspicion of bpd, it was a kind of relief and, at the same time, despair. I expected a diagnosis that declared bipolarity or cyclothymia, maybe chronic depression and just that... but I never expected bpd...

I do not know how to deal with it, nor do I know if I can consider a real diagnosis (since she is not a psychiatrist/doctor), I just know that it is being difficult to process that I can be/have bpd...
everything always goes ^^

Comments

• Options
    *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    Hey joya :heart:

Do you feel able to get a second opinion? 

How are you feeling about it all?
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
  • Options
    RileyRiley Moderator Posts: 991 Part of The Mix Family
    Hi there @joya I hope you're doing okay at the moment. I think it's totally understandable that you would have a lot of mixed feelings with getting diagnosed. Whether or not you consider it a real diagnosis is really up to you, but you might find it useful to speak to your GP or try and talk to a psychiatrist about the whole thing and see if they can give you a second opinion.

As for ways to cope with this diagnosis it might be helpful for you to learn more about BPD and whether or not any of its symptoms ring true to you. For example The Mix actually has a great article about BPD here https://www.themix.org.uk/mental-health/personality-disorders/bpd-borderline-personality-disorder-26840.html and the NHS website has lots of information on the subject https://www.nhs.uk/search/?q=BPD

Please keep us all up to date with how you're doing with all this, all of us on the boards are here to support you in any way we can. <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    AllieAllie Posts: 235 Trailblazer
    Hello, I too have BPD. I was diagnosed in 2016. It is a hard diagnosis to accept for yourself well in my circumstance it was.. I feel I'm not treated like a human anymore but just a BPD patient. It gets easier over time it really does. I have certain symptoms but also don't display other symptoms of bpd it is different for everyone. Feel free to ask anything you would like to know. Take care.