Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Work hours dropping

One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 599 Incredible Poster
so for some reason I just can’t catch a break, I get a job it goes well, something happens and I lose the job.

I worked at a small nursery from 2015 up until 2018 where I had to leave due to my position not being required anymore. We were all gutted, my manager included as I volunteered for her back in 2011-2013 as a volunteer (I did this to see if child care was for me and to gain experience.) I had to leave and volunteer at another nursery in 2013-2014 due to needing a baby room experience (for level 2) which the current nursery I was at didn’t have.

I then left for a summer job (which I hated but did it for the money.) until I went back to college I then volunteered at a children’s centre while doing my level 3 (the college picked.) 

Back to the 2015 job (left in 2018)

so I left and was unemployed for 4 months but found another nursery job, I work for 5 months and then lost the job due to epilepsy So I left in March 2019

I then got another nursery job (temporary) in May 2019 I work for 2 months and was offered more hours with a long term position. 2 months later I was hit with the news that unfortunately the position they offered wasn’t available anymore due to a sudden decrease in children and the apprentices qualifying to become a member of staff. So I had to leave in October 2019.

I was shocked when I received a phone call from my old manager (the one I first worked at) telling me she had a position available until July 2020 but longer if we have any more children requiring 1-2-1. Unfortunately I was hit with the news again on Friday that me and my friend would be loosing 20hrs (We work 30) this is due to the funding not being given as promised, only a 8p rise for the other government funded children and all the wages going up by 50p. Not only are we having to cut our hours but unless the government make changes, she may have to close the nursery permanently due to not being able to afford. We are only a 2 room nursery with 6 staff (manager included) 

so I'm out of pocket again, I could tell she was upset and I am too but I understand that she has had no other option and it’s not her fault. Currently I’m better off working these 10 hours then I would be claiming jobseekers, but I don’t think I’m going manage on 10hrs a week. I just wish I could land a bit of luck for once I hate bouncing from job to job, my nan always said tome that I don’t give up easily and just keep going. She’s right as I don’t but I’m being to feel like I’m ready to.

Comments

• Options
    StephanieStephanie Moderator Posts: 1,084 Wise Owl
    Hey @One-in-a-million

Sounds like things are quite difficult for you at the minute, it's positive that you have posted to reach out for some support.

It can be difficult when you lose your job, however you have lots of childcare experience and you seem very passionate about this field of work. :heart:  

How do you feel about applying for other childcare jobs? 

When we are going through a hard time sometimes it can be hard to see that things will work out in the end, but things may change and turn out alright in the end. 

Sending hugs :heart:

"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times if only one remembers to turn on the light" - Albus Dumbledore 

"Like when I was down you just had that smile that made me feel like everything's worthwhile. Thinking of the day when you went away, what a life to take, what a bond to break, I'll be missing you"

FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.