Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

medication worries/questions

itsquietuptownitsquietuptown Posts: 36 Boards Initiate
i have a doctor’s appointment on tuesday to possibly discuss trying a low dose of antidepressant to see if it helps my mental health. i’ve been struggling for years and recently feel like i need more help. i’m worried about medication because there are so many possible side effects, a lot of which i really don’t want to have to deal with. i’m also scared of it changing who i am or forgetting important things about myself. i’m stuck between wanting something that could help me and also being anxious about the fact that it could make me worse or give me other problems.

Comments

• Options
    coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    Hi @itsquietuptown

I know lots of people who have very similar worries about starting antidepressants, so you really are not alone in feeling this way. One thing I would really recommend is speaking to your GP about these concerns. They would have spoken to lots of people who feel similar ways so I am sure they will be happy to talk - and will be able to give you factual information to help reassure you and support you in your decision. How would you feel about this?

Take good care x
  • Options
    Jade09Jade09 Moderator Posts: 660 Incredible Poster
    edited December 2019
    Hello @itsquietuptown

Firstly its positive that you felt able to reach out to your GP about how things are going, and mentioned to them that you felt you need more help. It's a really brave thing to do so well done! 
    <3 

It's completely normal to be feeling worried about starting antidepressants, as it would be with any medication. You certainly wont be alone in feeling this way. As @coc0mac said it may be useful to talk to your GP about what you are worried about regarding the medication and ask about the possible side effects etc. 
    :) 

You mentioned that you are scared about the medication changing who you are or causing you to experience more struggles, which is understandable. Again this could be something to chat to your GP about.
     <3 

Is there anything else worrying you about how the medication may affect you?  :)

Let us know how you get on with your GP and the outcome on Tuesday 
    :3 

FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    ellie2000ellie2000 Posts: 3,962 Community Veteran
    Serterline make me stable n not go haywire. if one dose ain't working tell ur doctor they mite up it 50 more if ur not getting on with the current dose. Or they mite recommend another medication
    Crazy mad insane