Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

ppl say

ellie2000ellie2000 Posts: 3,940 Community Veteran
ppl say forget bout the past, is it easy?
Crazy mad insane

Comments

• Gemma1Gemma1 Posts: 123 The Mix Convert
    I'm sorry you're feeling this way, trying to forget about the past can be difficult and can often take some time.

Would you like to talk any more about what is making you feel like you need to forget the past?
  • ellie2000ellie2000 Posts: 3,940 Community Veteran
    wen I got sexually assaulted by 3 men in 1 nite, I feel dead now since tht nite. I wake up get though the day and go to bed on repeat. time isn't an issue now I keep hitting tht brick wall, as they tell me. does PTSD ever go?
    Crazy mad insane
  • Han93Han93 Posts: 309 The Mix Regular
    Hi @ellie2000

I'm so so so sorry to hear that this has happened to you. Are you getting any support for this?

There are some self-care tips from Mind here - maybe they could help: https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/post-traumatic-stress-disorder-ptsd/self-care-for-ptsd/#.XZYRX25FxPY

• ellie2000ellie2000 Posts: 3,940 Community Veteran
    There's a monster in the cupboard (whisper)
    Crazy mad insane
  • JamJarJamJar Posts: 274 The Mix Regular
    edited October 2019
    Hey @ellie2000

Are you the only person who knows about the monster in the cupboard or have you told any close friends or family members about it? 

Having experienced PTSD for over a year in the past I have some idea of the torment it can cause.  When the thoughts were in my head, and just constantly going round and round, it was easy for me to loose sight on what the pain points really were. What I can say from my own experience, is that speaking about it made me properly outline what it was that was tormenting me so much - because I had to try and be precise when I was speaking to my family about it. 

I am not recommending you talk about what happened to you if you don't feel comfortable doing so. I am just offering a perspective that you might find useful :) 

The strength and endurance you have maintained is truly amazing, but we can all do with a bit of support every now and then <3 

Whether that comes from the Mix or from someone you know, I hope you believe that you deserve the love and care that people have to offer 🙏
  • Gemma1Gemma1 Posts: 123 The Mix Convert
    @ellie2000
    I'm so sorry to hear what you have gone through, it shows amazing strength to reach out and talk about this.

My roommate at University struggled with PTSD and it also helped her to talk and work it through with close friends and professional support. When she didn't feel comfortable talking about it she focussed on other things that she enjoyed or would settle her mind, like art and music or journalling. 
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    PTSD does sound really hard to cope with. On your question on whether it does goes away... im not sure, maybe never completly. Your trauma will always be there cause cant change the time. But their are ways of managing it. Like you get wounded - it can be sore and get grit and all sort in it to stop it from healing but over time you can learn how to start letting it heal

maybe that doesnt make sense. Lol hope youre okay <3
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley