Head over to this thread to submit a song for our February 'Love' playlist that we'll be putting on Spotify!

Registering with GP at uni

pumpkinpiepumpkinpie Posts: 124 The Mix convert

I’ve just moved to a new city for uni and I’ll be wanting to register with a GP practice soon since I’m quite far away from home. Only thing is I’m staying in halls and don’t have a physical document showing proof of address (like a bill) since everything still goes to my old address. One of my flatmates used the email with her flat allocation on it to register since it had the full address of our halls on it and they accepted it. Does anyone know if you actually have to provide proof of address when you register or is it just something that helps the practice? (I live in Scotland if that helps) 



  • AbiAbi Posts: 57 Miniposter
    Hi @pumpkinpie

    It looks to be that you need to provided document of your current address, if this from the university in an email or letter which gone to the address of your hall of residents should be accept. If you feel you can wait till a letters such as a bill comes through then do so. I've taken a quick google and found this link here which contains the Scottish NHS information contact numbers. If you ring up your local practice they should be able to help or even speak to someone in the university student support. 

    If you need anymore help at all please do not hesitate to reach out here at the mix. 

  • JordanJordan Posts: 119 Super Moderator
    Doctors usually need a proof of address. I just went through all this recently so know how much of a pain setting everything up can be!

    The university I attend had a print out on their student portal for proof of address. You could try check for something similar. If not, reach out to the accommodation department to see if they can give you a proof of address.

    Good luck at uni!
  • pumpkinpiepumpkinpie Posts: 124 The Mix convert
    Hey @Abi @Jordan, thanks for your advice

    I was going to phone the practice before I went to register to see if they’d accept my flat allocation email as proof of address but I forgot (oops) however I went along today and they accepted it, so that’s me registered. One more thing off the list at least! 

  • mags98mags98 Posts: 175 Moderator
    There's this app that might help with appointments https://www.babylonhealth.com/

    From my understanding you can search nearby GP's, book appointments in person or via a phone/video call. I don't know all the details but their spokes person came into my uni to introduce it and it reminded me of this thread.
  • GreenTeaGreenTea The best. The moonPosts: 1,532 Postholic
    Well done for getting yourself registered! Many student don't do this or forget and then get into difficult when they need to visit the GP!
    Well done for getting it sorted pretty quickly! 
    Hope you are enjoying university and good luck!
Sign In or Register to comment.