Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Mental health on holiday

itsquietuptownitsquietuptown Posts: 36 Boards Initiate
I’m going on holiday with my boyfriend’s family tomorrow, this is the first time we’ve done this and I've only stayed the night at his house twice before. I’m excited because I get to be with him for a whole week, and his family are really lovely and welcoming. However, I’m also worried about managing my mh while we’re away, particularly my eating issues. My boyfriend knows about it all, and his parents are aware that I struggle with my mh sometimes. He has his parents before that I prefer to have smaller portions of food, but not that I have problems with eating. I’m worried that they’ll notice I’m not eating much and worry about me, and I don’t want to be a burden and make the holiday less enjoyable for them. I’m also worried they might try and make me eat more, and that I won’t be able to keep up some of my odd  habits about food when I’m in a different place. Does anyone have any advice for coping/distraction techniques I can try, particularly for coping with the fact that I’ll be in a new, unknown place? Thank you 

Comments

• Kathleen07Kathleen07 Posts: 1,938 Extreme Poster
    I don't really have eating issues personally, but just had a few thoughts :smile:

How would you feel about telling your boyfriend's parents? Do you think that could give you some relief to not have to hide it and that they'll be more gentle with how you much you eat?

As for coping techniques, I think some people will bring familiar foods with them, maybe bring a journal so they can write about how they're feeling. I found an article with advice in case it helps give you some ideas.

It sounds really tough to have those worries.

I hope you have a lovely time on holiday :heart:

• Butterfly23Butterfly23 Posts: 810 Part of The Mix Family
    Hello!

It hear that you are feeling really worried about going on holiday and managing your mental health while there, it is good that your boyfriend knows about your struggles as he may be able to help you at times when you feel overwhelmed or are finding it hard. It's understandable that you might feel worried about his parent's finding out about your eating issues, but i'm sure that you wouldn't be a burden and that they would want to help you to feel as comfortable as possible while there. 

I don't personally have any struggles with eating issues, but I have struggled at times. I agree with @Kathryn idea about bringing a journal with you to write down your thoughts/feelings in as it may provide you with a safe space to be open about your feelings and could prevent you from falling into bad habits while there. Also, this website has a few useful ideas of things that you could do to allow yourself to cope a little better;

https://www.eatingdisorderhope.com/recovery/self-help-tools-skills-tips/self-soothing-advice

Butterfly x

• SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    Heyy! <3 

i can hear how stressful it could be to think about this. You seem really self aware about things that may cause a problem to you and that's great start to trying to challenge them and seek support. 

I have struggles with eating challenges so I can empathise with how it feels to think about it affecting others. My family are aware of my diagnosis of anorexia and I feel like for me the best support is just other people being aware and relating it to like Christmas hoilday - my food intake is no different and I eat what I feel comfortable with and my family don't pressure me just cause a type of hoilday and feel like that's really important for them to know. Not sure how comfortable you'd feel telling them that tho? Sometimes it's makes things worse being forced to eat more. 

with coping with being in a different new place - that can be stressful and letting your self allow to feel that without trying to ignore it or change it. Like mindfulness with your thoughts.

It's also to be mindful of your area (looking at details and textures colours ect) when in new a place - that can be a distraction and you can get to look at all the details & be interesting! Some people also find it helpful to visual there fav place or safe place. Sometimes that can be like the sea. 

And i also just wanted to say that it okay if at times you feel low in that week and just because it's a holiday there's no pressure to be happy/stable 24/7. And venting about your worries or struggles can also help and we'd be here to listen

All the best!
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • JordanJordan Moderator Posts: 343 The Mix Regular
    @Kathryn idea of a journal of some sort is great. 

It it sounds like your boyfriend is supportive of you and your MH. The fact that he’s explained to his parents a way they can support you, without revealing the issue itself is great. 

As said by others, would you feel comfortable with you or your boyfriend maybe explaining to his parents a bit more about it? If you aren’t comfortable with that, that is totally fine. 

In terms of coping with a new place and your MH at the same time , remember you have a support network right there with you. If you are comfortable with it, you could always try speak to your boyfriend about how you are feeling throughout the week. 

Hope you enjoy the holiday. Let us know how it goes!
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.