Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Self consciousness

MoonlightMoonlight Posts: 1 Just got here
anyone else suffer from self consciousness ? Or does anyone have any tips. Especially to stand up to body shamers 

Comments

• Lucy307Lucy307 Posts: 1,171 Wise Owl
    Hey @Moonlight and welcome to the Mix <3

For sure I suffer from self consciousness too, I think it's difficult not to when we're surrounded by people that make us feel inferior! This is a bit random but I actually found that I felt awful about myself when I had Instagram, so have deleted it and feel quite a lot better since. Do you mind talking about body shaming a bit more - are you going through that yourself? 

- Lucy
    Treat yourself as you would treat a good friend
  • chubbydumplingchubbydumpling Posts: 487 Listening Ear
    edited June 2019
    Hi @Moonlight :)

I suffer from self consciousness as well, and I've definitely been body shamed. I talked about it in detail in a post here: https://community.themix.org.uk/discussion/3594567/vo5-summer-of-love-series-body-shaming#latest 

Last week on the Relationships board, we at The Mix teamed up with VO5 to create threads on body image. I think there's a lot of valuable information and support to be found there, if you're interested. <3
  • Han93Han93 Posts: 309 The Mix Regular
    edited June 2019

Hi @Moonlight

Yep, I get self-conscious all the time!

Have you read The Mix's article about Body Kindness - it's a really great read and helped me think about my body more positively instead of being ashamed/embarrassed by it: https://www.themix.org.uk/your-body/appearance/why-we-all-need-more-body-kindness-in-our-lives-32249.html

There's also one here specifically about Body Shaming which you might find useful: https://www.themix.org.uk/mental-health/body-image-and-self-esteem/how-to-handle-body-shaming-32324.html

Post edited by Han93 on
  • Butterfly23Butterfly23 Posts: 810 Part of The Mix Family
    Hey <3 

Yeah, you are not alone in feeling self-conscious as this is something that I frequently struggle with, when we are around people who make us feel unworthy or lower our self esteem I can understand its hard to think of yourself in a positive way.

Have you tried using affirmations before? These can help you to overcome negative body image and feelings through reading/saying positive statements to yourself every day :) You can make your own or find some from online, there are loads of great ones! 

The mix definitely have some good information and discussions regarding this subject, as linked on the above messages. Feel free to let us know how you get on with these ideas,

Butterfly x 
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    edited June 2019
    I dont have much to add in terms of how to handle it.
    So i will say I personally think everyone battles with feelings of being self concious even people you probably wouldnt think, do   And thats what i try to remember. I think everyone has something theyre self consious about at times and wish could change. & because no ones is what people view as  "perfect" and we all just have to accept every single person including ourselves and accept everything and embrace it as just makes us more invidiual 
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • HannahHannah Posts: 30 Boards Initiate
    Hey, 
    Sure! I think everyone has their own insecurities and things that they feel self conscious about - it's a completely normal thing for anyone to think from time to time, and we shouldn't beat ourselves up about this! It's important to remember this too, you are definitely not alone in your feelings with this. We need to learn to embrace our insecurities and not constantly put ourselves down for things we can't change. 
  • Gemma1Gemma1 Posts: 123 The Mix Convert
    Hey @Moonlight
    I agree that everyone has some of their own insecurities which they feel self conscious about. The real struggle is not letting them define who we are as people or stop us from doing what we want or enjoy. It's easier said than done but sometimes a helpful thing to remember with body shamers is that their opinion is not important and isn't a reflection of who you really are.