Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

VO5 Summer of Love Series: Making friends when you are travelling

SophiASophiA Posts: 59 Boards Initiate
edited June 2019 in Sex & Relationships
Supported by

As mentioned in my previous post, making friends during the love island experience would be an integral part of making their time in the villa fun. This got me thinking what’s the best way of actually getting the ball rolling on a new friendship, especially when you are in a situation where everyone is a stranger. 

So I did some reading and found this article on The Mix ‘making friends when you’re travelling’, which gives some very helpful tips on how to start a conversation with someone you may have never thought you would end up talking to. 

Has anyone else been traveling or in any other sort of situation where everyone is a stranger and they have been able to make friends? If so what are your tips on how to make friends in these situations? Are you guys still in touch? 

Post edited by Aife on

Comments

• coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    Love this thread idea!
    I haven't had to make friends in a travelling situation, however I have been through the process of making friends at uni where absolutely everyone is a stranger. I found the best way was to find common ground - perhaps I'd compliment someone's outfit, or if they had a nice cocktail I'd ask what it is. It's a light-hearted way to start a conversation, and can often lead to getting to know each other and finding more common ground, which I feel like I would also do in a travelling setting. 
    Although I don't live with those flatmates anymore (they were first year uni) we do still keep in touch, helped by social media - social media really isn't all bad :smile:
  • SophiASophiA Posts: 59 Boards Initiate
    @coc0mac i love your idea of giving a compliment, as not only is it nice to spread some kindness and positivity, making the other person feel good, but its also a very easy ice breaker to start conversation! Also love the cocktail idea, being a fan of cocktails myself, and this could be used in other situations with different things!