Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

? Accident question

L100L100 Posts: 128 The Mix Convert
edited June 2019 in Home, Law & Money
Feels like my life’s getting worse everyday. 

Yesterday i had litreally just gotten close to my home went to get a drink. Was going to cycle out. Saw car reversing so I slowed down and tried to get round him but he reversed straight into me.  People that saw asked if I was alright and he did stop. However my ankle was hurting at the time and foot kept giving way. I mentioned this and one of the bystanders called paramedics. (By the time they arrived I could put some weight on it. So they just said to keep an eye on it). Also turned out my blood was low (as I’m type 1 diabetic).     Even they questioned themselves whether police should of gotten involved (but didn’t as weren’t sure). Anyway my ankle still hurts a little and giving way (it’s worse today)  and I doubt I’ll be able to do my work experience and volunteering this week. 

1. So should I report it to police. Even though I don’t have any details and my bike camera didnt catch it due low on battery. There are cctv cameras and people that saw who live there.  
2. I’ve got a weird feeling my bikes a bit damaged although it looked fine I won’t know till after I check. and what am I supposed to do with my volunteering/work experience.
3. Should I of gotten the drivers details and given mine?

Comments

• SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    You should have got the divers details yes. Have you got any details?
    Weekender Offender 
  • L100L100 Posts: 128 The Mix Convert
    Skive said:
    You should have got the divers details yes. Have you got any details?
    Only where he works 
    Try and get the drivers name, the car reg, and the car description. From there you should be able to instruct solicitors to reclaim any damages, lost earnings or injury compensation. 
    I recently had a car pull out on me and I went over the car at approx 25mph. Tore my shoulder and calf. I'm expecting around £1000 for the bike and another £2000 for compo.

Weekender Offender 
    edited June 2019
    Skive said:
    Try and get the drivers name, the car reg, and the car description. From there you should be able to instruct solicitors to reclaim any damages, lost earnings or injury compensation. 
    I recently had a car pull out on me and I went over the car at approx 25mph. Tore my shoulder and calf. I'm expecting around £1000 for the bike and another £2000 for compo.

Sorry to hear that. 
    How should I get that info? The only way I can think off are. 

1. Ask or email the shop for the info 
    2. Report to police 

thing is due to my ankle I haven’t really been able to check my bike over as I can bear weight and walk on it but it hurts and have pins and needles which feels weird  and I don’t have a doctors appointment till Friday. also what if I try asking for details but the driver refuses. Do they legally have to give their details?
    (So I don’t know if anything is damaged) 

(My friends think police should of gotten involved when it happened) is this true? 
    L100 said:
    Skive said:

Sorry to hear that. 

2. Report to police 

thing is due to my ankle I haven’t really been able to check my bike over as I can bear weight and walk on it but it hurts and have pins and needles which feels weird  and I don’t have a doctors appointment till Friday. also what if I try asking for details but the driver refuses. Do they legally have to give their details?

(My friends think police should of gotten involved when it happened) is this true? 
    Getting the number plate should be enough. I take it you'd recognise the car again if you saw it?
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive said:
    L100 said:
    Skive said:

Sorry to hear that. 

2. Report to police 

Getting the number plate should be enough. I take it you'd recognise the car again if you saw it?
    Yes or if I forget I can ask the bystander (he lives in one of flats above the store) he just happened to be outside when it happened 
    L100 said:
    Skive said:
    L100 said:
    Skive said:

Sorry to hear that. 

2. Report to police 

Yes or if I forget I can ask the bystander (he lives in one of flats above the store) he just happened to be outside when it happened 

get the number plate and speak to a solicitor that deals with this type of thing.
    The driver should have notified is an insurance company that he was involved in an accident, though he probably hasn't. You should always get details of a driver if they have hit you and an injury has been caused, even if not serious, or even if it was your fault.
    Weekender Offender 
    edited June 2019
    Skive said:
    L100 said:
    Skive said:
    L100 said:
    Skive said:

Sorry to hear that. 

2. Report to police 

get the number plate and speak to a solicitor that deals with this type of thing.
    The driver should have notified is an insurance company that he was involved in an accident, though he probably hasn't. You should always get details of a driver if they have hit you and an injury has been caused, even if not serious, or even if it was your fault.
    What exactly is a solicitor? 

i haven’t gotten checked my ankle out yet and it almost seems fine now (apart from hurting when being still for a long while)  as my mum forgot to make doctors appointment. However I’ve only been able to check my bike able to check just now and the wheels out of alignment and last couple of gears not working. So my bike will need to go to bike shop to get fixed (may be able to do this later). Should I still get my ankle checked out or not. I dunno. Asking as my mum doesn’t see much point??
    L100 said:

A Lawyer.  Somebody that will act on your behalf to recoup any damages or costs incurred and obtain injury compensation if appropriate.

However, in such cases, it is important to act quickly. Get as many details as possible and a witness. If you are inured it is important to see the doctor as soon as possible. It's also worth retaining any receipts for any costs you've suffered or any items that have been damaged.
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive said:
    L100 said:

A Lawyer.  Somebody that will act on your behalf to recoup any damages or costs incurred and obtain injury compensation if appropriate.

However, in such cases, it is important to act quickly. Get as many details as possible and a witness. If you are inured it is important to see the doctor as soon as possible. It's also worth retaining any receipts for any costs you've suffered or any items that have been damaged.
    When I tried going back. His car wasn’t their. So I only remember first number plate initial as I can’t get his full number plate . I tried emailing the store the bystander mentioned he worked at. However they just replied and said to call up and speak to their manager. However I’ve ran out of call credit and don’t get more till next month and I don’t feel like I can ask.  The bystander who saw  is the only one that lives in that area as there’s only one house door (so I’ve got his address from that). So I guess I’ll just have to wait till police get back to me as I don’t know how  else to find the right details. 

i also have cycling insurance that covers damage from others and accidental damage. I assume I only need to contact them if the driver refuses to pay. ? 
  • JellyelephantJellyelephant Posts: 1,869 Extreme Poster
    You could claim insurance for your bike damage but depends how much damage because of the excess on the insurance whether it’s worth it. No point trying to get money for your ankle as it wasn’t a serious injury and didn’t cause any lasting problems. Likely you just twisted it or something simple. 
    The sun will rise and we will try again 
    You could claim insurance for your bike damage but depends how much damage because of the excess on the insurance whether it’s worth it. No point trying to get money for your ankle as it wasn’t a serious injury and didn’t cause any lasting problems. Likely you just twisted it or something simple. 
    True, I’m getting my bike dropped in shop tommorow. I can tell the wheels buckled. But I’m going to wait till bike shop says. 

When police do eventually get back they’ll probably ask more info about damages and injuires. (I did mention on the report at time that ankle hurt at time Which was the truth. It doesn’t hurt much anymore. So after I’ve found out damages of bike I should probs update then and mention that my ankle got better on its own then I guess? 

edited June 2019
    Aidan said:
    So after I’ve found out damages of bike I should probs update then and mention that my ankle got better on its own then I guess? 

Yes, you should always be honest- failing to disclose something, or making false statements, can potentially get you in trouble with the police, or compromise your position in a claim. If you have any concerns about your ankle you could see a doctor and have it checked out.

Have you reviewed your insurance's policy? And do you know what they need you to do if you intend to make a claim for damages?
    Thanks. My parents are being a pain. They don’t see the point of getting my ankle checked out. They told me to go to my volunteering. The pain comes and goes. It weirdly always goes after it makes a clicking noise and my other foot keeps having pins and needles. (There were times In my volunteering I couldn’t put my feet straight but other then that I could stilll do my jobs. My parents just think it’s bruised as it looks fine. Thing is I have no calling credit so can’t make an appointment myself due to this (I also can’t through online as I’m only registered at my doctors and not online).  

As for my bike, I can get it repaired at bike shop tommorow (I haven’t update the police yet Incase their turns out to be more damages then I thought. I’ll update tommorow once I know 

mans yes details of everyone involved and damages and their cost and police report etc... 
  • JellyelephantJellyelephant Posts: 1,869 Extreme Poster
    I understand. Your parents are probably saying that because the nhs is overstretched and if people take up appointments with the doctor it delays people that really need it if people use it for things like your ankle that are fine. It’s normal to experience a bit of pain etc after an injury but you don’t need to see a doctor for it because it’s getting better and will be fine on it’s own without medical intervention and not having any serious effects on you. You don’t want to keep an appointment that other people may genuinely need. 

The sun will rise and we will try again 
    I understand. Your parents are probably saying that because the nhs is overstretched and if people take up appointments with the doctor it delays people that really need it if people use it for things like your ankle that are fine. It’s normal to experience a bit of pain etc after an injury but you don’t need to see a doctor for it because it’s getting better and will be fine on it’s own without medical intervention and not having any serious effects on you. You don’t want to keep an appointment that other people may genuinely need. 

Thanks and yes but I’m back to everything.  Also noticed the drivers car who hit me used to always be around the corner (since that incident happend round the corner) has disappeared. Mabye just a weird coquindence. I am back to cycling but still get nervous around veichles reversing. How ever I’ll eventually get over this hopefully. Luckily my gloves and bike took the rest of the impact as my helmet didn’t get cracked or damage. My gloves have a tiny rip but are still Wearable