Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Carers Awareness Week 2019!

AbigailAbigail Posts: 816 Part of The Mix Family

It's finally arriving back! Carers awareness week is back again!

Carers awareness week is all about trying to show others that carers do so much without anyone realizing it. Carers can be split into so many categories, e.g. Young Carers, Young Adult carers, and Adult Carers. Most people think that being a Carers is helping someone with a physical illness when actually it isn't more than that. In the UK there are 6.7 million carers in the UK and 700,000 are young carers and 376,000 young adult carers. Generally, 42% of carers are men and 58% are women. These are just some of the scary figures that are out there for carers across the UK. For young carers like myself, 68% of young carers are bullied in schools and only half of young carers have a specific person in school who recognizes that they are a carer and might require support with the role in a school. ​Young adult carers are aged between 16-25. the figure for them is even scarier. Based on carers UK figures there is estimated to be at least 376,000 young adult carers in the UK aged 16 -25.  

This year theme is ...

At some point in June there might be a change in confetti. 

Any questions about this week or if you want to get involved, comment on here or message me and I will try and help.

Abi 

Some people think I am unhappy. I'm not. I just approach silence in the world that never stops talking.

Comments

• AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,026 Boards Guru
    Hey @Abigail

Thanks so much for put together this thread. It's really important you're raising awareness of Carers and how much they do. I can't believe how high those statistics are, particularly this one:

Based on carers UK figures there is estimated to be at least 376,000 young adult carers in the UK aged 16 -25.  

I have a question! What support is out there for Carers and what advice would you give to someone that's struggling?

Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤
  • Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,143 Part of The Furniture
    Hey @Aife

Shhh don’t tell Abi I jumped on to answer your question 😝

In answer to your question most areas will have both a young carers and adult carers group , sometimes there is a shortfall in between the age ranges for example one service may end at 16 but adult will not take them till there 18.carers trust have a handy little locator map on the website to help find a service or you could literally type in your local area follows by young carers. 

For someone who is struggling - reach out ! 
    If your not part of a group have a google and a ponder around for a group in your area and if your part of a group reach out to the staff there . They will be there to help ❤️

Let me know if you have anymore questions 

Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
  • coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    Hi There,

This is so important, thank you for sharing! I was wondering if there are any ways others can get involved to support young carers in any way?
  • AbigailAbigail Posts: 816 Part of The Mix Family
    edited May 2019
    coc0mac said:
    Hi There,

This is so important, thank you for sharing! I was wondering if there are any ways others can get involved to support young carers in any way?
    Hey @c@coc0mac

My I just ask what do you mean by support? Is it for yourself, someone you know or just in general?

I've linked below what I think might help if it doesn't help don't be afraid to say. 

Action for children  NHS Young Minds Carers week get involved

Some people think I am unhappy. I'm not. I just approach silence in the world that never stops talking.
  • alice123alice123 Posts: 88 Budding Regular
    Hey Abi,

I've looked through the links you shared and they are so informative. Thank you for sharing and raising awareness for a cause which is clearly close to your heart <3 
    alice123 said:
    Hey Abi,

I've looked through the links you shared and they are so informative. Thank you for sharing and raising awareness for a cause which is clearly close to your heart <3 
    Thank you. Its something not commonly spoken about especially here on the mix. There only 3 articles on the mix to do with carers, 

Summarising carers project (8/18)
    Supporting Young Carers (9/15)
    What is a young adult carer? (3/15)

So all quite old, its why myself and @Millie2787 have worked hard on the content for this year. Of course there is some very old threads on the boards to do with carers HereHere and Here

Speak soon
    Abi
    edited June 2019
    Just want to bump this thread as carers week is next week. Volunteers week is this week ... a lot of people who work with young carers are volunteers. The adult systems have a lot as well. Blackpool carers is an example of a carers system who has volunteer opportunities.  Blackpool carers was also built by DIY SOS the big build. 

X
  • Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,143 Part of The Furniture
    Something Sprang to mind. Last year whilst Planning out Time to perform piece, I was scrolling through trying to find some poems about young carers and came across this website. 

All of the poems had been written by young cares themselves and I think actually this one written by a girl called Dani Stood out to me the most , in fact, think it was one we used in our performance.

Each morning you hand me your heart.
    You sigh with relief as I take it.
    Released, you close your eyes to sleep.
    You drift away.
    I carry it all day.

Wrapped in a handkerchief I bought you for Christmas.
    Tied with a ribbon you used to plait into my hair.
    I carry it everywhere.

Your heart is heavy,
    heavy as a hand grenade.
    It throbs and it wheezes,
    it murmurs and beats,
    and beats,
    like a song that is stuck on repeat.
    And I get no peace.

It drowns out all noises,
    all voices, all choices.
    and it takes all I have to hold on.

But I do.
    And each night I return it to you.

And I smile and I sing
    and watch trashy tv
    and I talk to my friends
    and do things just for me
    and I sleep and I dream
    of a time I’ll be free.

Each morning you hand me your heart,
    heavy as a hand grenade,
    and I carry it,
    and my love is the pin.

Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.