Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

‘Make Yourself Heard’ campaign - the silent 999 system

TheMixTheMix Posts: 3,082 Boards Guru
Hey everyone,

A national campaign has been launched today to raise awareness of how to call 999 without having to talk out loud. The Silent Solution system allows a 999 caller who is unable to to make a noise or speak, press 55 when prompted. This then informs the police the caller is in a genuine emergency. 

This campaign has been launched by the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) and they've put together a guide about what to do if you need urgent police help but can't speak on the phone. 

This is a really great campaign to raise awareness of the silent 999 system. We hope you found this helpful :) 

Aife & the team

We're @Aoife, @Ella, @Gemma, and @JustV - the staff team here at The Mix.

Our DMs are monitored Monday - Friday (10am - 5pm) with limited cover on weekends. We have a great team of moderators looking after the community outside of those hours to check in on any reported posts.

We're not able to provide support on this account. If you need support urgently for any reason, please call 999, go to your nearest A&E or contact Crisis Messenger by texting THEMIX to 85258.

Comments

• SienaSiena Posts: 15,673 Skive's The Limit
    edited April 2019
    This is good. 

I know this is different but similar so wanted to say. Hope okay to comment? 

I have made a silent thing to emergancy services once ( through text message). It is for people who are hard of hearing, speech impediment or those in a hostage situation. I register cause never know if going to be held hostage (but thats not why i used it - i used it because i harmed myself but anxiety was too high to speak - still feel bad for miss using it - was never told it was bad way to use it tho they said was fine) but anyway you dont use it because you dont like phone calls - is last resort if cant hear or speak Or need to stay silent. Cause it says it can be slower compared to ringing. Can register any time & once registered stay registed & can send a message of what service you want, your problem and where you are to 999. 

http://www.emergencysms.net/

and this site says about it being misused cause is for deaf people but can use in hostage situation too

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/06/emergency-callers-warned-against-overwhelming-text-service-set/amp/
    Post edited by Siena on
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 8,091 Legendary Poster
    The silent 999 system is amazing. And I agree with you that it is for when talking could get someone killed @Aidan
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    "I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 
  • JellyelephantJellyelephant Posts: 1,908 Extreme Poster
    I think that although this has its flaws - it is a good idea and definitely better than the alternative of being hung up on if you can't speak. It's good to see the use of technology advancing to encorporate responses for different kinds of situations people may find themselves in. Hopefully this can be of use to people in danger. 
    The sun will rise and we will try again