Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

MPs to debate sex and relationship education- what's your take?

chubbydumplingchubbydumpling Posts: 487 Listening Ear
In just a few days, MPs will debate a petition urging the Government to allow parents to "opt out" of relationship and sex education on behalf of their children. This comes as RSE courses, including lessons on consent and LGBTQ+ relationships, become mandatory in 2020. 

Here's a link with everything you need to know about the debate: https://www.fenews.co.uk/press-releases/26092-mps-to-debate-sex-and-relationship-education 

Should parents be allowed to "decide who teaches [their children] and when and how they are taught"? How do you think learning about non heterosexual relationships will impact children and young adults?

What is your view on this? 

Comments

• HarryTHarryT Community Manager Posts: 320 The Mix Regular
    Really interesting topic! Personally, I think inclusive sex ed is an important part of the duty the education system has to young people. Education about all types of relationships is important to promote tolerance and acceptance. We've got a duty to educate all children in the same way regardless of their background imo.
    Hello amazing human (yes, that's YOU). I wish that you could see the amazing person who I see within you  ✨
  • MsBingoMsBingo Posts: 64 Boards Initiate
    Hey @chubbydumpling

I think good sex and relationship education is so important and is key for people establishing safe and happy relationships.

I'm in two minds about this. I agree that parents should have the right to choose who teaches their child about these topics. However, I think that wanting to opt out because you don't want your child to learn about LGBTQ+ relationships is shocking and reveals some really sad truths about our society. I don't think sheltering your child from different types of relationship does any good at all.
  • chubbydumplingchubbydumpling Posts: 487 Listening Ear
    @htwohig2412 Absolutely! 

I'm bisexual and the lack of exposure to LGBT sex education when I was in school meant that most of my sex/love life was trial and error. I was completely failed by the education system when it came to consent and safe sex.
    You're so right @MsBingo :)

It's one thing to make sure that these talks take place in a safe, educational environment but quite another to shelter children from the facts: LGBT people exist and have sex and fall in love just like heterosexual people, and shouldn't be disadvantaged by a heteronormative education system. 
  • Lucy307Lucy307 Posts: 1,171 Wise Owl
    Wow!! I had no idea this was going on and don’t really understand why any parent in their right mind would want their child to miss out on any education about sex and relationships. Just as @MsBingo said above, it’s pretty worrying indicator of what some people think about LGBT relationships... they must think ‘out of sight out of mind’ but for all of us that have had to grow up experimenting, we know that’s not the case! 
    Treat yourself as you would treat a good friend
    @Lucy307 I know right! It's crazy that more people don't know about it, but I suppose that's understandable given how Brexit is dominating the news. 

Some good news is that children can opt back in at 15+, and take charge of their own sex education. I've been reading about it here: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/primary-school-pupils-lgbt-lessons-sex-education-damian-hinds-children-a8795796.html

It's astonishing that this is the first time in 20 years that the curriculum is being updated.