Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Coke and loss of smell

SarahKCSarahKC Posts: 1 Just got here
Hi guys, has anyone ever lost their sense of smell after coke use. I have used ‘recreationally’ for years but after a recent family tragedy rather more often. I have only stopped completely a month ago but have no sense of smell whatsoever and I’m really worried about it. Does anyone know of the nose will heal and smell return or have I pretty much destroyed my nose?

sorry for long post  TIA

Comments

• Options
    Kathleen07Kathleen07 Posts: 1,938 Extreme Poster
    Hey Sarah and welcome <3

I'm not a drug expert and I've never used them, but thought I'd quickly drop in. Loss of smell (anosmia is the medical term I think) is a known side effect of cocaine, so you're not alone in that. It's great to hear you stopped using coke. Not sure if the sense of smell returns, I'm afraid. If haven't seen your doctor about this, I think it may be a good idea to, depending on the cause of anosmia they can sometimes give treatments.

There's an article on this site about coke and your nose, I dunno if it'd be helpful to you but thought I'd give the link just in case. http://www.themix.org.uk/drink-and-drugs/drugs-a-z/coke-and-your-nose-9573.html

I really hope you can get your sense of smell back. Feel free to come here when/if you need support. Hugs xo Wasn't a long post at all btw
  • Options
    LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    Hey Sarah :)

Glad to hear you've stopped ❤

The issue with coke is it damages your nasal membrane. Over time this damage becomes more significant and more irreversible.

The article Kathleen signposted may help, and there's also the 1-2-1 chat anand crisis messenger if you need to talk about it xo

It's hard to know what damage has occurred and whether it will heal without seeing a doctor, so if you get concerned you should see your GP x

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    edited January 2019
    I've snorted all sorts of shit over the years - coke, mandy, mcat, ket and amphetamine, but never noticed a real problem with my sense of smell, but when you think about it it makes sense that it would affect it.

If you drug use is negatively affecting your health, or turning into anything more than recreational use, then you should knock it on the head.
    Weekender Offender