We're currently updating and consolidating our community guidelines, so you might see a few changes and things being moved to more relevant places. We're not changing how things currently work, just making sure what's written is accurate and up to date.

Wanting cannabis/marijuana to be legalized in the UK

Sholay09Sholay09 Birmingham, EnglandPosts: 83 Miniposter
Hello I am thinking about writing an email to my local MP because I would like for cannabis to finally be legalized in the UK for medical reasons as one of its benefits and also I would like to see it be legalized for other reasons I think and for the minimum age to smoke cannabis to be set at age 18 as we become adults at that age in this country for many other purposes so I don't see why it cannot be set at age 18 like most other countries have set it at that age and because of many other things having a minimum age of 18 too. Also we should all be allowed to make all types of decisions as adults who are age 18 or over like whether to smoke cannabis or not or do other stuff as no age restrictions should apply to adults either because age restrictions should only apply to children and teenagers who are underage. I really need some good advice please.

Comments

• SkiveSkive No discipline! No morality! No respect! New ForestPosts: 14,856 Part of the furniture
    Criminalisation of drugs has been a failure. Lets fix this by starting with the decriminalisation of heroin.
    Sholay09
  • AidanAidan Clever idiot Posts: 891 Incredible Poster
    Criminalising drug use has isolated and stigmatised people dependant on drugs, and made their recovery more difficult that way.

However, some drugs are dangerous, especially cocaine (although cannabis, which you mention, is relatively harmless and in some forms is useful medically so I'm for it being legalised as a prescribed drug), and if it was my choice smoking would be illegal (I just don't think it's okay to take a harmful substance in a way that also exposes other people to it) and drinking be more regulated to prevent alcohol-caused violence, crime, traffic incidents etc.

To me at least, currently illegal drugs should stay illegal, but drug users should be dealt with in a different way that is actually helpful at getting them off drugs and negating the reasons they turn to drugs at all, and without treating them as subhuman.

I do hope you can make some changes, so good luck to you! Sorry I can't offer much in the way if advice, but I hope knowing the other side of the argument can help you gauge the scale of the opposition and help you prepare a good argument.

Take care! (:
    Aidan
    Sholay09
  • SkiveSkive No discipline! No morality! No respect! New ForestPosts: 14,856 Part of the furniture
    Drugs classification in the UK is a joke and has no basis in science in evidence.

Prohibition does not work. Far from actually being 'controlled substances' they are actually uncontrolled and on the black market, funding organised crime and terrorism. 

Decriminalise heroin, Legalise Cannabis, Mushrooms and Ecstasy,

Hey Sholay,

Are you aware of cannabidiol (CBD)? It's a substance found in cannabis, but it isn't psychoactive. It can legally be bought and sold as long as it is labelled as a ''food supplement" but in practice it's for medicinal reasons such as relieving stress and anxiety.

Last I heard, doctors either can, or are going to be able to the future, prescribe CBD for medicinal reasons.

Take care!
    Aidan

Sholay09
    CBD is psychoactive, it just doesn't produce the 'high' associated with Cannabis and as such is legal to buy.

Cannabis should be legalised. There is no good argument as to why it remains prohibited. 

Sholay09
    edited January 11
    Sorry, I missed a word, CBD isn't *as* psychoactive.

In terms of its effects, it's understandable why there's a push to legalise it. Only about 10% of regular users get addicted. It reduces concentration, and in the long term increases risk of psychotic illness and bronchitis.

Sure, regular use most likely can be bad, but it's comparable to legal substances such as alcohol and tobacco in terms of its harmfulness.
    Sholay09
  • independent_independent_ Boards Baby ScotlandPosts: 1,126 Fanatical Poster
    I definitely agree that it should be legalised, especially for medicinal use - I've seen so many stories of it helping people when other drugs have failed to with conditions such as epilepsy.

I also agree that if it were legalised for non-medicinal purposes, the minimum age to buy it should be at least 18. And I'm saying this as a 16 year old. And it should be regulated in a similar way to cigarettes - banned in public places etc. Personally I wouldn't want to have to be exposed to it constantly. 
    AidanSholay09