Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

employment and mental health

Just because I work does not mean that my mental health illness and many struggles are any less than that of those who don't/won't. If anything, mental health can be more strained when in employment and working!

Comments

• AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Hey Darkness, 

I defo get where you're coming from, I'm currently in employment, I'm a health care assisstant and work in a nursing and residential home, which I've been working since gosh knows how long, over a year, and at times my mental health has seriously deterioated, for example, I took just over 4 week out of work last month, as I was in a psychiatric ward, but my place of work are great when it comes to my mental health, and are really understanding, like if I am struggling I know I can approach management, the nurse in charge, etc. I was doing so  many hours though, that work put a strain on my mental health without me realizing. I was doing 12 hour shifts, and doing like 5 days on the run, one day off and back in etc. 

Since coming out of hospital my hours have reduced and I'm taking it a lot easier, I've got a few 8-2, rather than 8-8. How are your place of work with mental health? I feel as though if I didn't work now though, my mental health would deterioate more. Like I can sometimes have three days off and my mental health would be horrendous. If you get where I'm coming from. But I know a few people who say they need work to feel better mentally, and then you do have those, who actually can't work at all due to their mental illness therefore rely on benefits, etc. 

I know people say that surely if you work, your mental illness can't be that bad...But then those people have never walked in your shoes. If you get me, has something happened to bring all this on Darkness? 
  • DarknessWithin97DarknessWithin97 Posts: 19 Settling in
    It's amazing to hear how supportive and understanding your workplace are of you and it sounds as though reduced hours is helping you manage work better?

I would have no self worth at all if I didn't work. Sometimes I do feel too ill to work but I don't give up and continue working anyway. To be honest, nobody should rely on benefits and those of us who do work and are mentally ill end up struggling more with it because of that. I truly believe that everyone should work, and has the capability.x
  • AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    It's amazing to hear how supportive and understanding your workplace are of you and it sounds as though reduced hours is helping you manage work better?

I would have no self worth at all if I didn't work. Sometimes I do feel too ill to work but I don't give up and continue working anyway. To be honest, nobody should rely on benefits and those of us who do work and are mentally ill end up struggling more with it because of that. I truly believe that everyone should work, and has the capability.x
    See Darkness, this is were I disagree with you, I know people who were in hospital with me, who are on long term benefits, because of their mental illness, and I'm ngl, but what income do they have, while in hospital? I know in hospital everything is provided, for example food, accomodation, etc. You don't technically need to pay for anything, but then, what about the extras? What about bath products, clothes, etc? Without them recieving benefits, they wouldn't be able to get them, what if they wanted food that the hospital couldn't provide, sweets? Crisps? Things were lucky enough to be able to get and afford, because we do work. 

And when these people who have been in hospital for a year are suddenly discharged, they have no income, how are they meant to afford to live out of hospital? It's not just people with mental health who get benefits neither, what about those with physical health. 

The benefit system  has done wonders for  me, and without it, I would of probaberbly still be going in and out of hospital, because finaincially I wouldn't be able to support myself, I at the time was overdosing every other day, I couldn't go into work, because I was not only putting myself at risk, I was putting other people at risk. I was constantly calling in sick, so my income was starting to get seriously bad, I couldn't afford rent, I couldn't afford to look after myself. I stopped all self care, and if I didn't start getting benefits at the time, and I did continue working, I probaberbly wouldn't be here. 

I agree some people take the piss with benefits, but you're so lucky that you can still manage to work and battle your mental illness, sometimes it just isn't possible. But not everyone has the capability to work, and I really hope you get where I'm coming from, How difficult it is to drag yourself out of bed every morning and follow the same routine, how you stop looking after yourself because you've given up on everything. 

I know what both sides of this story are like, and its not always possible to work and battle your mental illness, and you do need to be that extra bit stronger to be able to work and battle your mental illness. 
    😢😡
  • JamJarJamJar Posts: 274 The Mix Regular
    Hey @DarknessWithin97

It's an interesting discussion you've begun here. What made you post in the first place? The initial post seems like it's written as a response to something... so I'm wondering whether you would like to talk about that? 

Hope you're doing OK :)
    I'm frustrated with how my life is whilst living wirh a mental illness and working, and not being on any benefits. 
  • BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    I'm much like Aurora :) I honestly don't know what I would do without work, but it is a major struggle for me to show up and stay out of hospital, but work gives me the motivation to do that. My Managers are so supportive with my mental health aswell, they can never do enough for me and they understand if I cant always make it in :) I too have been associated with the stereotype that people who work are doing well, when that's not the case, heck just look at my medical history and you'll see im not coping lol
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  

Also with mental health illnesses and employment, we are overlooked and seen as not needing help but sometimes we need it more so.
  • Lucy307Lucy307 Posts: 1,171 Wise Owl
    This is a really interesting thread, I do agree that sometimes help is needed more by people in work; but actually it's also sometimes needed more by people who don't work - I really think it's case by case basis. Everybody (in or out of work) deserves to be cared for and their mental health treated just the same as physical health, it seems that employers are getting better at making allowances for time off etc for people that are brave enough to talk about it. What's your employer like, @DarknessWithin97 ?
    Treat yourself as you would treat a good friend