If you had everything you wanted, do you think you’d be happy?

ShaunieShaunie England 🏠Posts: 4,682 Supreme Poster
edited December 2018 in Anything Goes
This is a question I saw somewhere else and makes me think. 

Things like career, relationships, money , a house. If not happy now and don’t have those sort of things now that are satisfied with- do you think it would make you happy if did?. Hope makes sense. 

I personally don’t think I know what happiness is lol🙃feel like it would part help but i don’t know 
" Shout out to everyone making progress that no one recongises because you never let anyone see your darkest moments. You've been silently winning battles and transforming yourself. Be proud of every step you're making in the right direction. Keep going cause you've got this" 🌸🌸❤️

Comments

• LaineLaine Llama Mama Posts: 1,283 Fanatical Poster
    edited December 2018
    Honestly I feel pretty happy now the only thing that ruins the day sometimes is mental health and long term chronic conditions. I believe I'd be much happier if I could stay here or get a place but ultimately with everything together no.  It would make me really happy for sure but every day?  No we all have off days :) just gotta appreciate what we have and accept that sometimes we're not okay and that is okay xo

🌈Positive thoughts🌈 

"I will make you believe you are lovely!" ~ TOP

"No one else is dealing with your demons, meaning maybe defeating them could be the beginning of your meaning friend" ~ TOP

"What's gonna be left of the world if you're not in it?" ~ Bastille
    Shaunie
  • AidanAidan Clever idiot Posts: 1,129 Fanatical Poster
    I think so, but only on the technicality that one of the things I want is happiness :joy:

I guess what I need is a job that pays enough money to live, plus a little extra for nice things that aren't really necessities, like occasional food that isn't supermarket own-brand, or christmas.

But what I'd want is money, so I'd have the freedom to always get nice things, and I think more importantly for me, a nice career that makes me feel like I'm doing some good and accomplishing something without having to worry if it'll pay enough to live on.

I don't think money buys happiness. But it certainly helps you keep happy if you can afford to live :joy:

3.6, not great, not terrible
    LaineShaunie
  • SkiveSkive No discipline! No morality! No respect! New ForestPosts: 14,928 Part of the furniture
    No. I think if you had everything you wanted to would have no drive and nothing left to achieve. 
    Shaunie
  • AuroraAurora Part of the furniture Posts: 11,713 Part of the furniture
    I wreckon I would be, I think my biggest barrier is stress, I stresss to easily, and if I had everything I wanted, I would be happy, but then things I want aren't just objects, it's like, I want to be thin, I want to be in control, I want friends, I want a social life outside of work, etc. LikeI think if I had everything I wanted, I would be happy, I would be in control, I would constantly be busy  etc. Im not after objects, Im after emotional satisfaction really, oh, and money. I could always do with more money. 
    Shaunie
  • ArianaAriana Posts: 193 The Mix convert
    I think I would be, but again, the things I want aren't material things, they're more to do with emotional fulfillment. I would like better physical and mental health so that I can pursue my goals, I'd like some close friends and a loving relationship, and I'd like a family who love and support me. All things that money can't buy, but I think I would feel happy if I had those things (although I don't for one second imagine that I wouldn't still have some daily struggles and life rubbish thrown at me as well! But the baseline, at least, would be happy rather than miserable). Very interesting post! 
    Shaunie
  • MikeMike Posts: 1,531 Staff moderator
    It's really interesting to see how people have interpreted this thread, the idea of being happy and how 'want' is defined. 

For me, I think the main thing is stability. If your finances and health are stable, it can open up a lot of doors and headspace for you to do things that bring you a sense of achievement and fulfilment. Assuming I had perfect health and perfect finances, I think I'd be able to completely dive into things I want to do, and doing those things would be the source of my happiness.

But if I could automatically have those experiences and skills without needing to gain them, I don't think I'd be happy. Like @Skive said, I think I need that ongoing sense of accomplishment and impact on the world. :) 
    "900 years of time and space and I've never met someone who wasn't important.”
     - The 11th Doctor

----
    (on holiday)
    Shaunie