Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Wanting the age to adopt a child to be 18 or 19

Sholay09Sholay09 Posts: 131 The Mix Convert
edited January 2019 in Home, Law & Money
Hello I am 20 nearly 21 and I have been thinking in my mind about wanting to adopt a child or wanting the age to adopt a child and other things that have a minimum age requirement of 21 or 25 to be lowered to age 18 as 18 is the adult age in this country and most other countries. I don't know why not many countries have a minimum age of 18 to adopt a child as 18 is an adult at the end of the day and we can do many things at age 18 too like become a police officer, work as a nanny I think, get married, buy cigarettes, alcohol, fireworks and many other things drive most types of vehicles, gamble and vote? I just wish that people would listen to me more and understand what I am saying too.

[moved by moderator]
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Past UserPast User Posts: 976 Part of The Mix Family
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,740 Master Poster
    You have to be financially stable and have a good home with a spare bedroom which can be hard to do at age 18 or 19. I do like the idea though.
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    "I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 
  • Sholay09Sholay09 Posts: 131 The Mix Convert
    Well Meggles I have read on the internet about the minimum age to adopt a child and it still says that someone still has to be 21 or over to adopt a child.
  • LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    edited December 2018
    I do find it quite fascinating that you may have a child at a young age but can't adopt one until your much older.  But I believe it is about having that sense of maturity. Financial stability. And having enough proof of identity as there are various DBS checks etc  xo

An adopted child be also be rather vulnerable and so requires more checks and paperwork :)

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
  • Past UserPast User Posts: 976 Part of The Mix Family
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • JamJarJamJar Posts: 274 The Mix Regular
    Hey @Sholay09

It's an interesting point you raise about the discrepancy between the legal age where you can have sex (and consequently bear a child) and the legal age for you to adopt.

My question would be, what is making you think it's so important to be able to adopt now? Rather than waiting a few years, and making sure your mind is truly made up about adoption? 

Hope you have had a peaceful holiday season. 
  • AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    According to the Gov website, (https://www.gov.uk/child-adoption) - You do have to be 21 years or older, often this is the age where people leave full time education, are able to support themselves financially and emotionally and are mature enough to go through the process of adopting. Often young children going through the adoption process have had a difficult up-bringing, are in a position that really they shouldn't be in. 

You do make a great point about the age to have sex and become pregnant and rear an adopted child, unless you've been planning on adopting since the age of 12 and are full on certain you want to adopt, people need time to think and process and go through the process of adopting a child. 

I think at the age of 18, you are still too young to deciding for certain whether or not you want to adopt a child, I know myself at that age, I was getting pissed most nights with my Uni friends. 
    I do quite half understand in what you are saying when you said that you think that 18 is still too young to know for certain when it comes to adoption Aurora but the reason why I said I would like for it to be 18 because the United Nations only consider a child to be someone under the age of 18 and also because 18 is an adult and should have all the rights and freedom of adulthood without any restrictions at all.
    Well Aidan 21 and 25 is still quite the same as we can do a lot more things at those ages. Also we become adults way before the age of 25 and I still don't get that we can do most things at age 18 but not the rest in which it does not make any sense and it is quite weird that rights and freedom even for adults comes at different ages. Also when we are adults we should not have any age restrictions applying to us anymore and we can do what we want to do with our own lives.