Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Mature students

Sholay09Sholay09 Posts: 131 The Mix Convert
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hello I have made some plans to go to university or another college in two years time for when I finish the college that I currently attend. I wanted to ask out of curiosity when I do go to university or another college when I am 22 in two years time about whether there would be students much older than me at college or university because I would like to meet some older friends who are in their late 20s and 30s and who are also middle aged at college or university as I want to be treated and seen more as an adult?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    Being someone who matured quickly for their age when I was first at college I did want to be treated like an adult but I did there was no real to other than to well act like one,  people can change or influence that,  many of my friends weren't considered "mature" but I learned I could have fun with them and still be mature when the time came :)

It does depend on whether it's college or university as for college the oldest I've seen is 19, and honestly compared to everyone else I met I felt most mature but that again didn't matter much as I could feel and be mature but my friends reminded me to have a laugh every now and then. 

As for university there are definitely people who would be older than you but that doesn't grauntee maturity 

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just got here
    Hi Sholay,

Where I live and even when I was back in England, a lot more mature students work during the summer, then apply to college for autumn into winter and early spring and get treated with respect for their maturity of working hard to get good grades from their hard earned seasonal wages. The students act maturely, therefore are treated with respect, our student employees say. They have praised their college for being treated well the previous season. It may be different in Mallorca here, but our mature students have little gripe about their colleges and those they study with. Remember though that in every class of the semester there is always some prat acting up and behaving like a tool. They are everywhere, for such is life even college life and university. :/

In the northern popular part of Mallorca and the southern reaches of Palma, a great many are mature students between ages 21 and 30. So I don't see why you can't be treated with maturity be it Spain, France or England. Therefore I don't see any obstacles preventing you from being treated as an adult. :)

• Options
    SienaSiena Posts: 15,495 Skive's The Limit
    Hey

id say uni has more people who are older than in college.  A lot of young people in college as thats can be the step before uni. But there is obviously some older people in college aswell that you can always make friends. Id say that at both college and uni get treated like an adult and have to be quite indepenent. I hope that at the college youre at now that you get seen as an adult. Do what feel most comfortable for you and what you think will help you in terms of your education aswell, as can have other chances to meet older people

All the best
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • Options
    EyepatchEyepatch Posts: 666 Incredible Poster
    Hello, 

I was a little older than people at my collage so was treated a bit differently, but this was also because of my actions. At uni I was treated like an Adult because I acted like one, students who mess around and don't focus are, in the eyes of tutors, childish. So they get treated less seriously. Just stay calm, do your work as best you can and talk to your tutors at uni using their names, be casual to them but also respectful. If they see you as an Adult they will treat you like one. It does take a bit of time as they need to get to know you first, and of course it really depends on your university and tutors themselves. 

Good luck with which ever decision you go with. Keep in mind you could always have an interview with a uni and then ask to delay your place for a year. Meaning, if you pass the interview, you will have a confirmed spot next year. Going to the uni and meeting tutors could help too, keep an eye out for when uni's/collage's have open days so that you can look around. 

:)
    "Sometimes we find ourselves stuck between choosing what is right, and what is easy."