Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Boosting hours over summer will take me over personal allowance - should I worry?

InterexInterex Posts: 1 Just got here
I'm thinking about doing much more hours over the summer at my job as I have way more free time and way less to do. However, working out my pay from the hours I'd do over the summer and for the rest of the year, I will be over the personal allowance amount when I put everything into this after tax calculator ( after-tax.co.uk )- this concerns me. Should it? I have no idea what happens when my income will start being taxable as I don't pay tax now. Will I end up owing tax at the end of the year? Not quite sure what my best course of action is for this as it's never happened before!

Thanks so much in advance :smiley:

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just got here
    If it's cash-in-hand you are receiving for your summer job, I wouldn't declare it and the same applies for tips.

However, it would be sensible to start a tax account especially if you are, or plan to become, self-employed.

Welcome to the board, by the way. I hope you'll stick around.