Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Anti-Anxiety Meds.

EyepatchEyepatch Posts: 666 Incredible Poster
edited July 2018 in Health & Wellbeing
So a few months ago I was prescribed some anti-depressents, anti-anxiety, anti-OCD stuff. After some time I started to feel better. I got a super high grade for the work on my course, had a really good time hanging out with friends and playing games. I even managed to pick up some old writing projects I'd dropped and work more on them. I was productive and feeling less nervous, I could even talk more. This might have been partly placebo effect but if I felt better I was fine with that.

Anyway, I had a bad week. I felt nervous again, panicked. I felt like my work was terrible and stupid, I didn't want to share any of it. Nothing bad happened, but I was back to old habits of self-harming and purposely doing stuff that would put me in danger. Do anti-depressants flux week to week? Or should I ask for a higher dose or a different type? I'm going to the Doctors soon to ask them but I think it might be good to hear some experiences/advice from others who are also taking or have taken medication for Anxiety/Depression/OCD.

"Sometimes we find ourselves stuck between choosing what is right, and what is easy." 

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just got here
    Listen to your doctor, but be prepared that they may not prescribe you anything at first. My doctor didn't, but then we are all different. Later I was prescribed a low dose Diazipam and found it very useful. Naturally I never take this anxiety-lowering med on the day that I drive. Remember this anxiety-lowering medicine can be highly addictive.

Considering we have little time at a doctor's appointment, write a shortlist. Example, 1 to 5. That will help as a memory jogger.

On page 2 of this forum I posted a thorough article on useful tips dealing  with anxiety and panic.

Print it off if you like. Then you can refer to it whenever.

Best wishes,

Mandy
  • EyepatchEyepatch Posts: 666 Incredible Poster
    I was prescribed some after a few sessions with the doctor. I just don't feel as if they are working anymore, is this normal? 

"Sometimes we find ourselves stuck between choosing what is right, and what is easy." 
    Eyepatch said:
    I was prescribed some after a few sessions with the doctor. I just don't feel as if they are working anymore, is this normal? 

Usual;ly, these meds can take a little while so they can get into your blood as this seems normal. But you should always ask your doctor. Only your medical practitioner will be able to tell you.

Make a telephone consultation appointment and go from there. :)
    I had another appointment recently and they said they type I am on can wain off so they upped my dosage and if that doesn't work they might switch me to another type :) 
    Eyepatch said:
    I had another appointment recently and they said they type I am on can wain off so they upped my dosage and if that doesn't work they might switch me to another type :) 
    Ahh, that sounds cool, @Eyepatch

Being weaned off one potent med and being into duced to another is pretty normal, though again it may take a little while before your new medicine gets completely into your body. Recently I've had this happen, and no side-effects.

You'll have to let us know of your progress. But any worries, do contact your doctor, ok? Booking a telephone consultation is quite convenient, too. As doctors are usually in a rush, jot down anything you need to ask.

Have a lovely weekend! =)

• SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    edited July 2018
    Hi

Meds treat the Symptoms not the Cause and i think its should be taken with therapy for it to work well. As why youre feeling the way youre is still there and sadly meds cant get rid of that. They can maybe do things like boost your motivation a lil. Are you getting other treatment? If not maybe something to look into? 
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
    I have thought about therapy, but I'm not sure, every reason I can think of that makes me feel this way happened a while ago or just feels to small to take to a therapist. Plus I'm not sure I could afford one. I do write poems and stories that help, I don't think that really counts. Im not very good at relaxing unless I've got a project to focus on. But I am getting a pet soon, one of my friends got a cat and having the distraction and responsibility helped her a lot. 
    Thanks, I will give it some more thought :)