Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Should you report posts about suicide and self-harm?

TheAprilFoolTheAprilFool Posts: 187 Helping Hand
edited July 2018 in Health & Wellbeing
Hello everyone,
I'm curious about what other people think about this because I joined a Twitter group chat a few weeks ago where people act as mental health advocates, and one member in particular tends to send links to tweets where people are talking about hurting themselves. I see a lot of that kind of thing in general. 

I normally try to reach out to people when they need some support, but this isn't always possible. Depending on their privacy settings, it might not be possible to comment on the post or reply to them. Plus, people aren't always going to be in the right state of mind to talk to someone else who is struggling. If this is the case, then most websites have an option where you can report the post to say that you think that the person is in danger and the site is then meant to make sure they're safe.

I got into a bit of a debate in the mental health advocates group chat a couple of weeks ago because apparently Twitter sometimes suspends people who post about suicide and self-harm, which would mean that they lose a source of support. I felt bad for reporting a few posts when I heard this, but I don't think I've ever actually known someone to get suspended for posting this type of thing. Usually it doesn't seem as if anything is being done at all.

What do you think about this? I saw people on Tumblr recommending this, but on Twitter people seemed to be against it. Maybe it depends on each particular site. Is reporting this type of post a good idea or not?

Comments

• LostsenseLostsense Posts: 1,329 Wise Owl
    It's a totally bad idea. Someone who is already on the edge suspending their only support is gona totally push them over the edge. Elefriends dose it aswell. I think every site dose it or say that you need a break from the site like wtf I dont need a break!
  • TheAprilFoolTheAprilFool Posts: 187 Helping Hand
    Lostsense said:
    It's a totally bad idea. Someone who is already on the edge suspending their only support is gona totally push them over the edge. Elefriends dose it aswell. I think every site dose it or say that you need a break from the site like wtf I dont need a break!
    Thanks for the reply. I don't think everyone who posts that kind of thing definitely gets suspended, but as several people have mentioned that it does happen I'm wondering what else should be done if you can't get through to people. Do they actually send any resources or do they just stop people from accessing the site for a while? 
  • LostsenseLostsense Posts: 1,329 Wise Owl
    They send resources but probably resources that the person has already tried.
  • SevenSeven Posts: 58 Boards Initiate
    Hey TheAprilFool, 

You're right to note that the opinion about this depends on the site. According to professionals at talks I've attended, different platforms will be frequented more or less passionately by different kinds of people because of what they're used for. 

As far as your question goes, it's great that you're noticing that they have the platform which they might need. It's definitely worth considering on a case-by-case basis whether to risk that platform for them. 

Perhaps it's worth signposting to them sites like this one depending on the ways they discuss their feelings, or signposting to charities that provide support, similarly to what we do here? Obviously, this is only when you have the opportunity, which as you mentioned you don't always have. 

If the site doesn't actually provide them the support they claim they do when you hit that report button, then it would be understandable if you wanted to let them have it. As I really don;t ever used twitter, I'm interested as to whether there's a reason to report them, especially if they're not going to be properly supported as a result. 

Let us know how this is still working out for you! It sounds like you're dealing with the conflict fairly well, and it's amazing to see you having the empathy to consider those decisions. 

All the best. 
    Lostsense said:
    They send resources but probably resources that the person has already tried.
    That's a good point. A lot of places just keep sending people back and forth between different organisations. 
    Seven said:
    Hey TheAprilFool, 

You're right to note that the opinion about this depends on the site. According to professionals at talks I've attended, different platforms will be frequented more or less passionately by different kinds of people because of what they're used for. 

As far as your question goes, it's great that you're noticing that they have the platform which they might need. It's definitely worth considering on a case-by-case basis whether to risk that platform for them. 

Perhaps it's worth signposting to them sites like this one depending on the ways they discuss their feelings, or signposting to charities that provide support, similarly to what we do here? Obviously, this is only when you have the opportunity, which as you mentioned you don't always have. 

If the site doesn't actually provide them the support they claim they do when you hit that report button, then it would be understandable if you wanted to let them have it. As I really don;t ever used twitter, I'm interested as to whether there's a reason to report them, especially if they're not going to be properly supported as a result. 

Let us know how this is still working out for you! It sounds like you're dealing with the conflict fairly well, and it's amazing to see you having the empathy to consider those decisions. 

All the best. 
    Hey @Seven

I think it does really depend on the site. I mainly have this issue on Twitter, because I followed a lot of things aimed at mental health when I started using it more frequently a while ago. I followed a few accounts that posted a lot about depression, and I followed a lot of people who were going through some really tough stuff. The issue was that even if I could respond to someone, I would end up in these conversations where I was trying to help someone but wasn't able to. I didn't have as much of an issue like this on other sites because earlier this year I decided that I needed to change the kind of media I was looking at to benefit my own mental health so I only followed accounts that were positive. 

I don't know if there is a risk of suspension on every website. The reason I brought up the topic in the first place was because people on Twitter seem to think that you should never report a post even if the person is about to harm themselves, but on Tumblr there was a post going around saying that it's best to report it rather than have a bunch of people desperately trying to contact a person who posted about suicide and then disappeared. I suppose it's something that you should check with each site before you do it, but I'm sure a lot of people will just kind of panic and report the person as a risk to themselves and assume that the site will provide some resources. 

I agree that there's no point in reporting something if it doesn't help the person, but I don't think it's common knowledge that people could be suspended for talking about suicide and self-harm. If you look into guidelines and stuff I think a lot of sites say that they will send resources and try to help the people that get reported. I suppose there are certain criteria that a post has to meet in order for the person to be suspended, I've seen a lot of people talk about that kind of thing and not lost access to their account.

I don't really report people anyway unless it's as a last resort. I always figured that making the effort to start a conversation would be a better way of showing that I care. Plus, there's no point in reporting it if they're talking about their past or are clearly not in any danger. It's just that it all gets a bit much sometimes. I think that pointing people to other resources is something that I should do more often.

It only ever came up once in the mental health advocates group chat. I mentioned reporting posts, and a couple of people replied saying it wasn't a good idea. However, one of them did report a post and found that the person didn't get suspended. I think they also mentioned the person being sent some resources, but I can't really remember.  

Thanks for the reply :)
  • Butterfly06Butterfly06 Posts: 6 Confirmed not a robot
    I wouldn't report them just try to reach out to them if you can.Twitter might be their only outlet and I believe from what other people have said on twitter, when someone reports your account you're frozen out (the first time your account is reported) for 24 hours. For 24 hours they can't message or tweet anyone. It is also a possibility that like me sometimes they're using it to vent because they don't have another outlet. They might not always be in danger. 
    I hope this post makes sense. 
    I wouldn't report them just try to reach out to them if you can.Twitter might be their only outlet and I believe from what other people have said on twitter, when someone reports your account you're frozen out (the first time your account is reported) for 24 hours. For 24 hours they can't message or tweet anyone. It is also a possibility that like me sometimes they're using it to vent because they don't have another outlet. They might not always be in danger. 
    I hope this post makes sense. 
    Thanks @Butterfly06
    I try to reach out to people as much as possible. It just feels better to talk to someone as long as I have the time, energy and resources to do so. I know that Twitter is the only outlet that a lot of people have. I also know that not everyone who posts something is in danger, but I've also seen a lot of posts where people are either clearly about to hurt themselves or have already hurt themselves. What would you recommend that people do if they can't reach out to that person or if they don't get a response?

Thanks for the reply. It made perfect sense. I am aware that most of the time people don't get the help that they need, although I'm sure I know at least one person who said that they reported a Twitter comment and the person got sent resources. I don't report every post I see, but I need other resources so that I know how to help someone who isn't responsive after posting that they are in danger.
  • PhoebehurtsinsidePhoebehurtsinside Posts: 2 Newbie
    Omg why would you even do that?! That could completely tip someone's stress levels over the edge! They could (in extreme circumstances) end up killing themselves! Just give them a few kind words and leave it! 
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,493 Skive's The Limit
    edited July 2018
    I can see why people do report them. I personally havent seen it my self on social media. But think people report with good intentions and tbh i dont personally agree with - it  could kill them statements as feel thats unfair to put that on soemone who doing it with good intentions.

I wouldnt personally report it myself, as know how feels when on support sites. But reporting it could get their account blocked and then they may feel they have no chioce but to recieve the actual help they may be needing eg gp or what not. And soemtimes can be a barrier for them getting the actual support. And feel it is the same with other things like if someone was physically sick, they may ask someone close to them for help or advice, but if that friend wasnt there- could just go to their gp. As they was seeking help in first place. If that makes sense. And social media isnt the best place to find that sort of help if theyre in danger or something or really suicidal may need professional help.  

But obviously not that case for everyone. & understand that yeah could be using as outlet and maybe not willinging to seek other support but yeah just trying to add a different point of view to it 

but yeah i just basically think dont report but if close with the person.maybe see if theyre getting the right enough support. And maybe encorage them to
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley