Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Inexpensive Meals on a Budget

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just got here
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Hey @Aiden and my other foodie friends! 

I was rooting around in my kitchen today for a bunch of inexpensive recipes which I mentioned last night in chat, but someone has moved all our recipe books which was a shame as we have about 60, and there was bound to be some gooduns - anyway, I found some really good cheap and healthy recipes on BBC Good Food.

Then I found Cooking for One: 25 insanely easy healthy meals.

https://greatist.com/health/healthy-single-serving-meals  - and they look so insanely delicious that I'm almost crying with joy!   :joy:

Do let me know if you try any. And I'll let you guys know, too.

<3
Mandy

Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    Hey Floxy! 

These are great I'll have a dig through! 

I usually do overnight oats with banana so I wouldn't mind trying baked banana porridge actually, just ditch the walnuts and it'll be delicious!

Will have a look later and make some the next time I go shopping :) x

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just got here
    Hope you did well with your munchings, @Laine =)

Occasionally we do light meals for our B&B guests and here's a link for some that are very popular

of which "Asparagus & new potato frittata" is terrific especially when eaten with a big dollop of sweet chill jam.  https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/asparagus-new-potato-frittata

Our sweet chilli jam recipe

500g over ripe tomatoes (not mouldy)
    8 large red chillies (jalapino chillies are very good, nice and fruity)
    5 garlic cloves
    1 tbsp roughly chopped ginger
    50ml Thai fish sauce (Nam Pla)
    300g caster sugar
    100ml rice wine vinegar

Puree the tomatoes, chillies, garlic, ginger and Thai fish sauce in a food processor or blender until you have a smooth puree.

Place the puree, sugar and vinegar in a large saucepan and slowly bring to the boil, stirring regularly with a wooden spoon.

When boiling reduce to a slow simmer and leave to cook for 40-50 minutes, but no more or the jam goes toffeeish. Remove any skum that rises to the top and stir regularly.

Remove from the heat and pour into sterilised jars, when at room temperature store in the refigerator until ready to use.

Sophie's just made this morning - small batch peach jam. It's lovely. =)

4-5 cups of thinly sliced peaches or other fruit
    ½ - ¾ cup sugar, depending on how sweet the fruit is
    Juice of 1 lemon
    ½ tsp real Bourbon vanilla extract
    ¼ tsp (about 3 drops) real almond extract

Slice peaches thinly and, in a large bowl, combine with lemon juice, sugar and extracts. Stir to dissolve sugar and leave in the refrigerator to macerate overnight [I left mine in there for an hour].

Drain out all the juices into a heavy-bottomed sauce pan. Add half the fruit, bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 15 minutes, until the juices are just thickened.

Cool it down for 10 minutes, then transfer to a food processor or blender and puree until smooth.

Transfer back to the pan and add the rest of the fruit. Bring back to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer gently for another 15-20 minutes. To test if the jam is ready, drop a heaping teaspoonful onto a plate and slightly tilt the plate. The jam should not run off, but cling and slowly glide down. If the jam isn’t ready, put it back on the heat for a while.

Spoon the jam into small jars and refrigerate or spoon into re-sealable plastic containers and freeze. You need to keep it in the fridge and use it up fairly quickly.