Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The Perks of Reading at University

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Attachment not found.

Hello,

This thread could give some motivation to those who do not particuarly enjoy reading at university.

At the beginning of my three years at university, the thought of reading bored me to death. I would dread going to seminars with the thought of deadly silence when someone rarely had something to share on the topic other than the tutor.

However, when I progressed into second year, I learnt that it was important to beselective and to read as much as you possibly can.

Once I knew exactly how to be selective – highlighting key words and words I do not understand to research further rather than simply highlighting parts I thought was more interesting. In fact, the majority of the times, the sections which I used to exclude but happen to be all the more important.

By third year, I was loaning books from the library on a weekly basis as well as reading journals online. Since then, I was not only reading the set readings from the tutor but I was going out there and further reading. From there on, the amount of ideas and points to support my argument in my essays increased.

What has this taught me overall?

The more you read, the more motivation you will have to start a project/assignment.

Do/did you like reading at university?

The Perks of Reading at University 4 votes

Yes
75% 3 votes
No
25% 1 vote
Post edited by JustV on