Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Post of the Non-Specific Time Period - Here are the nominations!

SarahRSarahR Posts: 213 Trailblazer
Attachment not found.

So, we've had a bit of a lull with Post of the Month for a while due to tech issues and not receiving many nominations but we've had a turnaround in the last few weeks courtesy of our Nomination Sensation butterfly123! Thanks butterfly! :)

With that in mind, it's time for Post of the Non-Specific Time Period! I'll aim to do one more of these before Christmas (buuuut only if there's enough nominations, hint hint :D).

So without further ado, here's the list of great posts to vote for:

louisa982 was nominatedfor this post in Curious about people... [warning: possible graphic content]
louisa982 wrote: »
I think its disgusting to even think like this! we are all human beings. If you want to kill people because they aren't perfect.one word. NAZI.

apandav was nominated for this post in Any horror/gothic fans out there?
apandav wrote: »

Intresting question James. Well maybe some people like the "thrill" factor, just as the same reasons to wanting to go on a rollercoaster. I also find, with the right storyline it can be addictive- you want to know what comes next, so much so you put yourself through that "fear". In horror films, scary things happen- maybe people want to get a feel for it, without directly being involved in it in their own lives (that would just be too much haha).

StrubbleS was nominated for this post in Re-entering the dating world
StrubbleS wrote: »
I think dating, especially if you haven't done it for a while is like riding a roller coaster. It's gonna be scary, but nothing bad is gonna happen. If you crap your pants and make a scene before the start, then the safety bars go up again, everyone looks at you and it's embarrassing. It would have been better to just put on a brave face and take the ride and afterwards you're all like "so what was the fuss about? That was fun!".

I certainly understand the anxiety after limited human interaction, but just with the rollercoaster you have to keep in mind that nothing bad is gonna happen and nothing is gonna change if you keep pussying out.

The last girl I went on a date with dropped me a line on Wednesday on a dating website. I have a funny/not serious paragraph on what my ideal friday evening looks like and she said "lets go spend such a friday evening." On thursday she told me she is bored, lets meet. I have barely exchanged more than an hour of PMs back and forth with her. My heart was racing, my palms were sweaty, Mum's spaghetti, but I thought if I made up a bullshit excuse to not go I will regret it later. So I just went to the date like a Halloween ghost house, spooked out, but confident that it's not gonna be a negative experience. Honestly this is the only thing that works against anxiety, Just fucking do it, Nike©.

The nerves get better, promise. Once you went through your first date you feel familiar ground under your feet.

plugitin was nominated for this post in Update: Mental Health and University
plugitin wrote: »
*hug* apandav that all sounds really tough what has happened with your parents.

I think parents find it really hard to understand why their children would turn to the internet and forums like these and I suspect they might be worried because often in the media you hear about people meeting online and being triggered by others. I guess all you can do is explain it is a safe place with mods etc, and where it's pro support and not triggering etc. I suspect they are also scared, so are trying to draw you back into them where they think keeping you in sight will keep you safe, which is why they want to know about your every move.

It might be worth trying to compromise with them and say you don't find it helpful for them to want to know where you are all the time (with the tracker) and know everything that is happening - perhaps you could agree that you will outline your plan for the day and keep your phone with you so they can contact you if need be. Perhaps trying to keep with what they're suggesting for a bit might help them to calm down, but make sure it doesn't affect you too much. It's a really difficult time for you all, so big hugs and we're all here if you need a vent or support or whatever :)

plugitin was also nominated for this post in BRITAIN HAS BEEN PUT ON TERROR ALERT...:(
plugitin wrote: »
We've been on a terror alert since 9/11 and the terror threat level hasn't been changed from Severe in the UK. It's absolutely horrible what happened in Paris, but it makes me absolutely sick that this is being used to deepen tensions between communities both here and across Europe. By being afraid and polarising various groups, it's legitimising IS and their attacks.

I'm not afraid, and I refuse to let this change the way I go about my business.

ShatteredSecrets was nominated for this post in What do young people REALLY think?

[
It just is all absolutely mind boggling to me... that consent is such a grey area. It really shouldn't be. Like Yes is a Yes..

Things that are NOT yes:
  • I'm not sure
  • ummm
  • wait
  • I don't care
  • whatever
  • no response at all
Like it's not really that hard? Yes on occasion 1 does not mean yes on occasion 2.

Sorry guys it's just something that really bothers me. Perhaps being a survivor of sexual violence really solidifies my views on this. But I definitely agree that if it is taught in schools/colleges then it must be done in an almost interactive way? Like don't lecture them because it just will not go in. I'm currently at university and I was not given any talks like this. I think everyone really should be given it tho. I think the video about the cup of tea really hits the nail on the head there!

ShatteredSecrets was also nominated for this post in Are girls getting angrier?
I think women are getting angrier... however there is no excuse for abuse. Whether you're a man, a woman, a child.. or even a bloody dog. There is never any excuse to hurt someone. I would say the only reason you should ever hurt someone else is if it's life or death and they are literally going to seriously harm you.. I suppose I'm saying self defence.. I think females are generally let off too lightly when it comes to things such as domestic violence or assaults and things. So many feminists bleat on about equality and stuff but if you can't deal with the consequences you don't want equality.. you want "equality when it suits you".

I didn't catch this documentary but I plan to watch it on catch up at some point.

Bedtime Bear was also nominated for this post in How would you describe depression?
5% sadness
5% hopelessness
5% self loathing
85% the emotional equivalent of watching paint dry.

There is a little bit of feeling like shit, but mostly there is the feeling of nothing.

Self loathing might be a little higher when I hear others talk, though. I have a great family, a great husband, a really good, well paying job with amazing coworkers (so important, since you spend more time at work than home) but there is nothing. You have a great life, just be happy, they say. Pick yourself up. But there is nothing. It isn't necessary sadness or helplessness. It is just nothing.

So there we have it! If you've made any nominations recently and they haven't appeared in this list, then let me know and I'll try and unearth them from where the forum may have swallowed them. Otherwise, happy voting! Attachment not found.

Post of the Non-Specific Time Period - Here are the nominations! 11 votes

louisa982
27% 3 votes
apandav
0% 0 votes
StrubbleS
18% 2 votes
plugitin (Update...)
0% 0 votes
plugitin (Britain...)
36% 4 votes
ShatteredSecrets (What do young people...)
18% 2 votes
ShatteredSecrets (Are girls...)
0% 0 votes
Bedtime Bear
0% 0 votes