Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Possibly saved by my cousin (trigger warning)

One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 599 Incredible Poster
So it was a good few years back when I was 15, I’m nit sure what started it but I think it was due to bullying, feeling worthless and feeling like I would fail at everything. I felt so down I started distancing myself from my friends, I had no interest in going out and I basically hated myself. While I wouldn’t say I was suicidal I had thought about what life would be like without me and to be fair it seemed better without me in it. I couldn’t shale this feeling although I had no intention of doing anything despite thinking about not being here.

People who know me will know I’m extremely close to my 3 younger cousins who are now 18, 11 (almost) and 12.

My 12 year old cousin was about 5ish back then and I remember sitting in the kitchen feeling like absolute crap. When all of a sudden she came over to me and crawled up on me knee. She cuddled me tight and then asked “Emma will I see you when I’m older” I smiled at this and replied “yes of course you will” she was still cuddling me and said “even when I’m 90” This made me laugh :) and again I replied you can see me forever and ever. Still holding on to me she said “thats good... I love you and would miss you if I wouldn’t see you again”

Those words meant so much to me... it was after that I realised that I was needed for her, for my family” I will admit it didn’t change things over night but slowly I started feeling more confident. I spoke out about the bullying and began telling myself the words she said that day. I slowly began feeling better. I think it started to come in waves after that rarther than feeling very low all the time I started having much better days.

I think it was 12-18 months after I decided to go to the doctors about these low feelings he put me temporarily on anti depressants (although I wasn’t formally diagnosed) and said it could be due to the events of what happened and may pass with time but sent me to a support group. This also help me as well as counselling at college. I was only on anti depressants for about 6 months and carried on with the counselling for a further 3 months. And I feel like I’m a completely different person. Sure I have bad days just like everyone else, but to think that I could have sank deeper if I didn’t seek support is very shocking and sad. I feel as if it was a 5 year olds words that put me back on track.

I suppose what I’m trying to say here is tell the people you love that you love them, tell them how much you need them and give hope to those who are struggling. You may save someone from sinking into a deep mental illness or worse.

Comments

• SienaSiena Posts: 15,493 Skive's The Limit
    Heya OIAM:)

Thank you v much for sharing. Interesting and quite powerful. I am so glad to read youre doing okay with things and managing well and gives me some hope when i read things like this.

Personally i think i maybe i have gone wayy too deep into depression. Either that or i am selfish. I rememeber my sister just telling me something similar a few weeks ago, although it was nice to hear for a seconds - Later all i could think was ‘you dont know what would be good for you’ and ‘im just a burden’. And thinking ‘youre only saying to be nice’

But i also guess what youre trying to say aswel is - when you start living for others- you can actually end up living for yourself :)
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • RileyRiley Moderator Posts: 991 Part of The Mix Family
    Hey there One-in-a-million.

Thank you for posting the story of what you've gone through it was very brave of you to share some of what's happened in your life. It was a very touching story and hopefully it'll help inspire other people on the boards to look towards the people who care for them. I think we all need support from one another from time to time and seeing your story about how much your cousin helped you is definitely a testament to that. Now you just gotta make sure you live to be 100 so your cousin can see you when they're 90! :lol:

- Riley
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.