Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

My first anxiety attack

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I’ve had a problem with anxiety for about 4 years now, but I never really thought of it as much because I always felt like I can handle it (I don’t think I have a disorder). Today, I went on a nice peaceful trip far from my home with my aunt and cousin. It was really peaceful and quiet, unlike my home where it’s usually loud. Later that night, after I got home, I was eating a small snack before going to bed, when something happened. My sister was drunk, and gave herself a bruise, to which my dad assumed that her bf hit her or something. He then threatened to call the police which caused my entire family to erupt in yelling and anger. It seemed to escalate very quickly, but that wasn’t the point. The point is, I was witnessing the whole thing, and as things began to escalate, I froze. My chest felt heavy, my heart was pounding, my head was aching, I couldn’t stop trembling and I had trouble breathing. I wasn’t entirely sure at first, because this never happened to me before, but after doing some research I realized that I definitely had my first anxiety attack. After that happened, I was able to move normal again but I was still breathing very heavy and trembling for about 15-20 minutes, even after everyone stopped arguing. I felt like I was going crazy. I don’t know what to do now. I have school tomorrow, and I really don’t want to go anymore. I also want to seek help on my mental health, but I don’t think I can just get a psychologist or therapist since I am still a teen and my parents don’t really take mental health issues seriously. I’m not sure what I should do about this and I guess that’s why im asking here now.

Comments

• *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    hey bpena22, firstly welcome to TheMix

You have taken a brave step opening up here, you should be proud of yourself :heart:

Sorry to hear about your anxiety attack,

TheMix have some fab articles on anxiety and panic attacks, you can find them here http://www.themix.org.uk/mental-health/anxiety-ocd-and-phobias/page/2

Does your school have a counsellor on site that you could speak too, you could also make an appointment with your GP to discuss your mental health.

TheMix have lots of other services alongside the boards for you to get support too, I will link them below.

http://www.themix.org.uk/get-support

You are not alone and we are all here for you :heart: *hug*

Do keep posting and let us know how you are getting on.

Take care

" And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
  • nish215nish215 Posts: 64 Boards Initiate
    bpena22 wrote: »
    I’ve had a problem with anxiety for about 4 years now, but I never really thought of it as much because I always felt like I can handle it (I don’t think I have a disorder). Today, I went on a nice peaceful trip far from my home with my aunt and cousin. It was really peaceful and quiet, unlike my home where it’s usually loud. Later that night, after I got home, I was eating a small snack before going to bed, when something happened. My sister was drunk, and gave herself a bruise, to which my dad assumed that her bf hit her or something. He then threatened to call the police which caused my entire family to erupt in yelling and anger. It seemed to escalate very quickly, but that wasn’t the point. The point is, I was witnessing the whole thing, and as things began to escalate, I froze. My chest felt heavy, my heart was pounding, my head was aching, I couldn’t stop trembling and I had trouble breathing. I wasn’t entirely sure at first, because this never happened to me before, but after doing some research I realized that I definitely had my first anxiety attack. After that happened, I was able to move normal again but I was still breathing very heavy and trembling for about 15-20 minutes, even after everyone stopped arguing. I felt like I was going crazy. I don’t know what to do now. I have school tomorrow, and I really don’t want to go anymore. I also want to seek help on my mental health, but I don’t think I can just get a psychologist or therapist since I am still a teen and my parents don’t really take mental health issues seriously. I’m not sure what I should do about this and I guess that’s why im asking here now.

Hi bpena22,

I'm sorry this happened to you. You should remember you're not alone and anxiety attacks are very common, so you're not going crazy. You mentioned you want to seek help on your mental health, which is great idea, but you're parents don't take these issues seriously? Perhaps you can sit down and talk to them about how you're feeling and how it's impacting you, would that be an option?

Also getting help is much easier than you think, you can just see your GP who will offer you the right advice and support, you don't have to go see a psychologist or therapist straight away if you don't feel you want to.

Here is a link to the anxiety and panic attack section of Mind, which a great website all about mental health https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/anxiety-and-panic-attacks/self-care-for-anxiety/#.WnSo1Khl_IU . If you check out the website you'll see it offers ways to self-care like breathing exercises to calm you down and some helpful advice on why you might be feeling the way you are. It is important to take care of your self and relax.

Let us know how you get on and remember you're not alone, we're always here to talk. :)