Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Read yourself better!

MirabelleMirabelle Posts: 1,020 Wise Owl
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I'm starting a new topic about books that can help us, rather than novels that we read during our leisure time with our hoofies up. When parents are too busy, often stressed or tired out after a long day, we are on our own feeling anxious or worse, feeling very down or suffering depression or tummy wrenching anxiety. This calls for a good self-help book and recently aunty bought home a pair of very good books indeed.

Anxiety For Beginners by Eleanor Morgan: Audiobook: Free | Paperback £6.99 | Kindle Edition £1.19

I found Anxiety For Beginners helpful because Eleanor has been dealing with the beast since she was a teenager, yet made the book an easy read helping me understand my condition easier. Throughout the book she spoke from her heart, which kind of brings the understanding down to my level. The chapters are clearly marked so it’s definitely the sort of book you could dip in and out of or just read the bits that most appeal to you. I’m interested in anything that will keep my anxiety under wraps, or at least just bubbling on the surface. I can’t say that I always follow what these books tell me to do, but then they are interesting to read nonetheless, and this leads me to discuss:

Reasons to Stay Alive by Matt Haig: Audiobook: Free | Paperback £5.57 | Kindle Edition £2.63

I have borderline depression though nowhere as acute as some, so found Haig's book most helpful offering quick fix solutions such as yoga, meditation, exercising and slowing one's thoughts - the latter useful in my case because I tend to overthink, especially at night. Throughout the book I found Matt Haig made himself completely vulnerable to me, which I appreciated his willingness to share his experience on such a personal level that I could so easily relate to.

It's impossible to explain depression to someone who has never experienced it. And sometimes it's hard to know if anyone out there really understands the illness. I read the book in 5 hours and found it had a comforting familiarity about it and, most importantly, hope. We who suffer - you and me - are not alone, but can always do better tomorrow.:rainbow2:

Belle
Post edited by JustV on