Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Ladurée's Hot Chocolate

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
When we were in Paris we stopped by at Ladurée's and ordered their exceptional hot chocolate. It tasted so divine that I could have swooned! Mum cheered up no end, and my sisters had to have another cup of this luscious rich chocolate. Having found the website, I saved it so I could make their splendid Lemon Meringue Tart. And I didn't stop there since there are more recipes on that site (see below) and I've made nearly all except the Hydrangea Cake and their rather grand Moelleux au Chocolat avec Caramel Salé - which looks a bit of a challenge! :P

“Whenever friends ask for a list of things they should do in Paris, I always tell them they must go to Ladurée for hot chocolate – it is one of the delights of being in the city. Chocolat chaud made in the Ladurée style is unabashedly rich, luxuriously thick, textbook smooth, and the kind of delicious that forces you to stop all reasonable conversation so you can sip and murmur, “Mmmmm.” - Dorie Greenspan, Paris Sweets.

Recipe

Chocolat Chaud: Ladurée, Paris Sweets - Dorie Greenspan

Ingredients:
- 3 cups whole milk (750g)
- ⅓ cup water (80g)
- ⅓ cup sugar (65g)
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely ground (175g)

Instructions:
- Bring the milk, water, and sugar just to the boil in a medium saucepan. Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the chocolate.

The hot chocolate needs to be blended at this point. At Ladurée, this is done with a hand-held blender. If you have this tool, leave the hot chocolate in the saucepan and whip it with the hand-held blender for 1 minute. If you don’t have a hand-held blender, transfer the chocolate to a traditional blender and whip on high speed for 1 minute.

The chocolate should be served immediately, while it is still very hot and frothy. Alternatively, you can pour the chocolate into a container to cool; the cooled chocolate can be reheated or served chilled. The chocolate can be made up to 2 days ahead and kept tightly covered in the refrigerator.

- To make cold hot chocolate: Chill the hot chocolate until it is very cold, then stir in ¾ cup cold milk. Whip the cold chocolate for 1 minute with a hand-held blender. Serve the cold hot chocolate over an ice cube or two.

Reference:
www.parislovespastry.com/2010/09/ladurees-hot-chocolate.html
Post edited by JustV on