Home Introduce Yourself
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Greetings!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
First, I gratefully thank the webmaster and staff for helping me get my membership sorted.

I became 18 this month and divide my time between Alcúdia in Majorca and England. I live with my mum and sisters. My father is Spanish, but abandoned us. Mum is English and suffers severe anxiety. I'm "mum" to my sisters, but as winter comes, I suffer acute stress disorder and some anxiety, too. Since young I love growing things, so now I'm doing an online horticultural degree course. We have large greenhouses at both homes so I have practical work in addition to study and lots of writing. Learning is such a privilege. One day I want a career in horticulture. My love for growing started when Gran gave me a packet of seeds. The love grew.

Now the tourist season in Majorca has finished, it's very quiet so we came home to mum's in the UK. When the tourist season starts again next spring, Can Picafort our nearby resort will get busy again and there I'll be working at a hotel to help make ends meet. I have a folk/rock band. We've been established for three years now, and locally we are very popular. As an Indie band we gig or busk and the money gets really good sometimes, and again this helps our family and band friends to get by.

Thank you for letting me join. Maybe I can help others and in doing so, help myself.

Julie

Comments

• Options
    AbigailAbigail Posts: 818 Part of The Mix Family
    Hi Julie,

Sorry to here you have had a tuff pasted. Welcome to The Mix.

You have done so well to reach out to us. I just want to tell you that you are an amazingly strong person to go through as much as you have and still continue. Well done for that.

I know how hard it is to look after someone and always have someone relaying on you 24/7, You decerve a break as well. May I ask would you ever consider yourself to be a carer? ... to me as a carer myself you do sound like a carers. https://www.carersuk.org/ - Take a look at this if you want to find out a bit more.

Well done again

Abi
    Some people think I am unhappy. I'm not. I just approach silence in the world that never stops talking.
  • Options
    JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,306 Part of The Furniture
    Abigail wrote: »
    Hi Julie,

You have done so well to reach out to us. I just want to tell you that you are an amazingly strong person to go through as much as you have and still continue. Well done for that.

I know how hard it is to look after someone and always have someone relaying on you 24/7, You decerve a break as well. May I ask would you ever consider yourself to be a carer? ... to me as a carer myself you do sound like a carers. https://www.carersuk.org/ - Take a look at this if you want to find out a bit more.

Well done again

Abi

Couldn't have said it better!

Welcome to the community, Julie. :wave: Really glad you found us! I'm Mike, one of the moderators you'll see passing through from time to time. I see you've already gotten stuck in to some of the different forums which is awesome.

See you around!
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
  • Options
    Abigail wrote: »
    Hi Julie,

Well done again

Abi

Hey, Abi - thank you for welcome and such kind words.

Since father abandoned us, I'm taking a day at a time with mum. Her anxiety began the day he walked out two years ago and it's worsened to the point where I had to take her to our doctor. Thankfully, he prescribed something to calm her down and she gets it on repeat prescription. As for father, I've got a lawyer pursuing him to give mum a monthly allowance. Being a lawyer he can afford to. He deals with political-legal matters and government in Madrid, yet is as mean as Scrooge. I did write to him, but he never made any replies. It's kind of ironic instructing a lawyer to pusue a lawyer. rolleyes.gif

That link you gave looks jolly good! Thank you for that. :) If you think I could be a carer, then yes I will apply and see what is needed. I'm responsible for giving out medicines to my sisters and mum, the meds are kept in a locked metal cabinet.

On my 18th I passed my driver's test. Now I can cart my sisters around: Tomorrow, first stop, supermarket. They can push the trolley! :D

Mike wrote: »

Couldn't have said it better!

Welcome to the community, Julie. :wave: Really glad you found us! I'm Mike, one of the moderators you'll see passing through from time to time. I see you've already gotten stuck in to some of the different forums which is awesome.

See you around!

Hi Mike, thank you also for the welcome. Yes, I tend to jump around forums as I like variety. Later after I've fed the gannets, I'll be visiting the Food forum to post some recipes. The Mix is such an awesome forum. I must join your chat sometime.

Have a good evening everyone!

Julie

• Options
    independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,615 Legendary Poster
    Hey there, Julie,

Welcome to the boards! It's fantastic to see that you've already got into posting on here - this is an amazing community. I don't know if you've seen that the mix also run group chats, on Sundays-Thursdays from 8-9.30pm. They can be a great place to get real time support as well as on here!

I'm Eleanor, I'm 14 and from Scotland. It'a great to have you around here!!
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • Options
    Hey there, Julie,

Welcome to the boards! It's fantastic to see that you've already got into posting on here - this is an amazing community. I don't know if you've seen that the mix also run group chats, on Sundays-Thursdays from 8-9.30pm. They can be a great place to get real time support as well as on here!

I'm Eleanor, I'm 14 and from Scotland. It'a great to have you around here!!

Hi Eleanor,

Thank you so much for your lovely welcome. It's taking me a bit of time to get used to getting around the forum, but I'm sure to be joining the group chats. That sounds awesome. :)

I hope Scotland isn't too windy. Down here in the south it's blowing up a hoolie. We have a Scottish neighbour and though he's retired, has a sharp sense of humour and a love for a wee dram. Except he was swearing roundly - his weather station's anenometer fell down in the gale. I'm going up on a ladder tomorrow to fix it.

How do you like school? I home schooled like my sisters. It's nice because travelling between Majorca and England as we take our taptops and piles of textbooks.
  • Options
    BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    Heey Julie! Welcome to the boards :)
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
  • Options
    ^ Thank you, Bubbles. :)
  • Options
    AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,031 Boards Guru
    Hey Princesa, welcome to the boards! It's great to have you here :wave:
    Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤
  • Options
    Thank you, Aife. It's good being here. :)