Home Community Announcements
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Expert chat: Want to be your own boss? (Thurs 27th Jul, 6:30-8pm))

TheMixTheMix Posts: 3,040 Boards Guru
8CVGGRS.png
Want to be your own boss? Find out how.

The idea of working for yourself can be pretty appealing – you can decide when and where you work, don’t get ordered around by anyone and most importantly, you get to spend time creating something that’s yours!

In practice of course, it can seem pretty far from doable. But That doesn’t have to be the case according to our expert for this session, Joe. Working for a youth charity called The Winch in London, Joe helps people under 26 create, fund and run their own businesses every day. Joe reckons everyone has an idea, it’s just a case of building on it to create something amazing.

Come along on Thursday, where we’ll need your help to build our very own business idea and work out how it could get off the ground. It’s a great chance to find out how you can turn an idea into something more :)

Who'll be running the session?
wZ7ghUJ.jpg?1
Joe

My name is Joe Oxley, and I work as the programme co-ordinator for the Winch.We deliver a course called the company, where young people aged 18-25 are given the opportunity to create and launch businesses. I run group sessions, devise personal action plans and co-ordinate experts and professionals to deliver workshops.I have worked with young people for over 10 years in various roles, working with people to start business's is the most challenging and rewarding role yet!!

What will we be doing in this chat?
This chat is actually more of a workshop than an expert chat. We'll be working with Joe to generate a business idea together and talk about how we could make it a reality. Here's the plan:
  • Opening round, intros & ground rules
  • Generate a business idea together
  • Develop the idea (working out how it could translate into an actual business, make money etc.)
  • Talk about how to get initial funding and present a business plan
  • Talk about what would happen then and how to get it off the ground
  • Recap and closing round​

When is this happening?
The chat will run on Thursday the 27th of July from 6:30pm to 8pm. If you can, please try to come for the full session :)

How will the chat work?
Like all expert chats, this will be open to everyone. The moderator will ask the room who has a question and then ask you to take it in turns to put them to our experts. You'll also be more than welcome to chip in by sharing experiences and ideas that might be helpful to others.

You will be able to log in as normal on the night in the usual place: http://www.themix.org.uk/get-support/group-chat

What if I can't make it?
If you have any questions for Joe about starting your own business, feel free to send them to us via private message in advance. We can make sure they get asked on the night.

Any other questions, feel free to ask below!
We're @Aife, @Ella, @Emma_, @Gemma, and @JustV - the staff team here at The Mix.

Our DMs are monitored Monday - Friday (10am - 6pm) with limited cover on weekends. We have a great team of moderators looking after the community outside of those hours to check in on any reported posts.

We're not able to provide support on this account. If you need support urgently for any reason, please call 999, go to your nearest A&E or contact Crisis Messenger by texting THEMIX to 85258.

Comments

• TheMixTheMix Posts: 3,040 Boards Guru
    Just a reminder that this is happening tonight! Due to the issues with chat, there will be a password -SwishAndFlick.

Mike
    We're @Aife, @Ella, @Emma_, @Gemma, and @JustV - the staff team here at The Mix.

Our DMs are monitored Monday - Friday (10am - 6pm) with limited cover on weekends. We have a great team of moderators looking after the community outside of those hours to check in on any reported posts.

We're not able to provide support on this account. If you need support urgently for any reason, please call 999, go to your nearest A&E or contact Crisis Messenger by texting THEMIX to 85258.
    UPDATE: Unfortunately, we have had to postpone tonight's session. We'll be rescheduling it for another time and we'll update this thread once we have a new date. :)

Mike

• Past UserPast User Posts: 976 Part of The Mix Family
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    evie_rose wrote: »
    damn.. i cancelled a plan with the my mum for this hahahha

Aah no, sorry Evie! I know this was quite a last minute change so apologies if anyone changed plans to come to this. We'll do our best to get a new date for it. :)

Mike