Home Gender & Sexuality
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

The pressures of being in an LGBTQ+ relationship

AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,026 Boards Guru
JDHmfMY.jpg
I call upon all Americans to observe this month by fighting prejudice and discrimination in their own lives and everywhere it exists - U.S President Barack Obama, May 31, 2011

Hey everyone,

June is celebrated each year as LGBT Pride Month. This is to honour the Stonewall riots in Manhattan which happened in 1969. As a result, many pride events are held during this month to recognise the impact LGBTQ+ people have had in the world.

We've come a long way since Stonewall, with many countries legalizing same-sex marriage and celebrities such as Laverne Cox and Ellen DeGeneres bringing LGBTQ+ stories into the mainstream media. However, we must acknowledge that there are still many challenges that LGBTQ+ people experience, whether they be related to discrimination, identity, or personal relationships.

How does discrimination affect an LGBTQ+ relationship?

Look forward to hearing your thoughts,

Aife & Kathleen

Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I haven't had experience of this myself but I've seen some of my friends who are in LGBTQ+ relationships struggle with discrimination on and offline. One friend had to end a relationship because the partner felt unable to tell the family about their relationship even though it had been going on for many years. I cannot imagine being unable to tell my family about my relationship, especially if I've loved the person for years. Of course, this can happen in non LGBTQ+ relationships too for many reasons. If discrimination makes one person want to keep it secret whilst the other wants to shout about it from the rooftop then I imagine this creates confusion, mistrust and uncertainty. Without discrimination these pressures on the relationship might not exist.
  • KathleenKathleen Deactivated Posts: 49 Boards Initiate
    Hi emishere,

Thanks for sharing this story about your friends! This is a really great insight into how LGBTQ+ people may be feeling, especially about being unable to tell your family about your relationship.

There was a study done that suggested that people in same-sex relationships whose families reject the relationship have higher partner satisfaction. Do you think this is true? Does anyone else agree, or disagree?

-Kathleen
  • KathleenKathleen Deactivated Posts: 49 Boards Initiate
    This is a great clip Hann! Such a great story! Do you guys think that when celebrities share their experiences coming out, it can change any of the discrimination that LGBTQ+ people face?

-Kathleen
  • AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,026 Boards Guru
    Hann wrote: »
    Just thought I'd share the clip from Ellen's 20th Anniversary of her 'Coming Out' episode, the talk between her and Oprah.

Hey @Hann, thanks so much for sharing this video, it's a great clip! How do you think this video can help other people?

- Aife
    Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤
  • e.g.vickerse.g.vickers Posts: 7 Confirmed not a robot
    @Hann , that is such a nice video. Thank you for sharing it!

There are a lot of pressures from being in an LGBTQ Relationship, as there are still some people who do not accept LGBTQ people, however there are a lot of people who do accept them.

Some countries still do not accept LGBTQ relationships or LGBTQ marriage - and that is astonishing!! It was only on the 26th June 2015 that gay marriage became legal in the USA!

LGBTQ relationships are not uncommon, however they are still, by some people, unaccepted, and that needs to change!

Ed <3