Home Work & Study It's Exam Time The Class of The Past
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Finding that much needed motivation to revise!!

independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,617 Legendary Poster
edited April 2021 in The Class of The Past
My exam exams are not until next year (Scottish) but I have lots of these assessment thingies to determine my level for those national exams. Biology, is this week and I have managed to do small amounts of revision, but nowhere near enough at all! And it's all because I just cannot find the motivation to do any. I'm here... browsing the boards and watching Fair City when I should be revising... bad I know.

But how do you all find the motivation?
“Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
Post edited by Emma_ on

Comments

• Options
    Ok biology was okay after all that😂😂
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • Options
    AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,031 Boards Guru
    Hey @independent_ that's great news your Biology exam went okay, how many more exams do you have left? :)

It can be hard find that motivation to study especially when we've got so many exams. For some people, breaking up their revision into chunks each day can help with finding that motivation again. Once you've completed each chunk, what can work is to give yourself a reward such chocolate, or give yourself a 10 minute break to check the discussion boards or watch something on YouTube.

There's some great tips on this article by The Mix:
    • Create the space
      Wherever you live, be it halls of residence or shared accommodation, establish a work area. Even if you don’t have a desk, restricting a small area just for learning will help create boundaries between work and play.
    • Ditch the distraction
      Consider your working environment and cut out anything that tempts you from the task at hand, such as TV – or even music. If you just can’t work in silence, go for tunes without vocals.
    • Establish a work schedule
      Break up the slog into more manageable sessions. So, if you’re faced with six hours worth of work, for example, why not split it into three two-hour sessions? You’ll feel like you’ve achieved something faster which is a buzz that’ll keep you going.
    • Create regular breaks and rewards
      There’s nothing like the prospect of a treat to keep you focused, so be sure to pepper your sessions with them. Five minutes free time every hour, for example, will help to maintain that spark and drive. Use the opportunity to leave your working environment, get some fresh air, or do something rewarding. If you’re organised enough you can keep the weekends free too, so you can look forward to a night out on Friday.
    • Study effectively
      There’s no point reading a textbook if you know you’re not taking it in. Think about how you learn best and try different things, read our article on revision tips for more ideas.

Hope this helps and wishing you the best of luck with your exams! You can do it!

- Aife
    Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤
  • Options
    Aife wrote: »
    Hey [USER="95994"]independent_[/USER] that's great news your Biology exam went okay, how many more exams do you have left? :)

It can be hard find that motivation to study especially when we've got so many exams. For some people, breaking up their revision into chunks each day can help with finding that motivation again. Once you've completed each chunk, what can work is to give yourself a reward such chocolate, or give yourself a 10 minute break to check the discussion boards or watch something on YouTube.

There's some great tips on[URL="http://www.themix.org.uk/work-and-study/study-and-exam-tips/study-motivation-1354.html"] this article [/URL]by The Mix:

Hope this helps and wishing you the best of luck with your exams! You can do it!

- Aife

Hey @Aife! Thank you so much for those tips it's really helpful! I don't know how many I have left as they're surprising us all with them every freaking 5 minutes!!! But hopefully not too many. I'll save this as a reference particularly for next year!