Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Help me with my anxiety

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi guys,

I've recently come out of a relationship and I'm finding it hard to cope with anxiety. The anxiety I feel makes me think differently, and that has made me feel I'm not in control of my situation. As a result I've spent the last two weeks in a cycle of anxious thoughts, with the added pressure of me being overly conscious of whether I'm helping myself, and I'm unsure what to do. I feel the situation has continued without me being a part of it.

What can I do to help?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Hey.
    I've had a very similar experience to you. I've always had anxiety, and when I broke up with my ex, I fell into a dip. I have no way of telling if this'll work for you, but it did for me. Look after yourself. In life, almost everyone prioritises someone over themselves. Make yourself a priority, just for a few weeks. Love yourself. Don't over-indulge, as much as compulsive spending is a quick release from it all, when you look at the tiny number in your bank account and you'll feel even worse. Find a relaxing music playlist, light some candles, dim the lights and relax. A few weeks of long, hot baths and self-care really relaxed me and took my mind off all of my anxiety. It's also super important to have someone you can talk to, whether a friend, family member, a counsellor or even just someone on this forum. We can all help you.

Just try following my advice for a day, it's not going to improve your anxiety much straight away but if you get some relief for a period of time then it's worthwhile, right? If it works, you'll have a great (and very relaxing) coping technique that you'll be able to apply to similar situations in the future, and if it doesn't I'm sure I, or someone else, can help you find a different way of dealing with it.
  • Options
    @edc I might do some of these myself!
  • Options
    Thanks for your advice! The whole purpose of the break up was for us to help ourselves, as years of me not addressing how I felt lead to us both being unhappy. The guilt of not helping myself and making things difficult for her during our relationship has been too much on my mind, and the fact I've since had another anxious meltdown since we split has made me feel hopeless. I'm currently experiencing depression, and am constantly comparing myself as I feel now against how I felt before the anxiety. I'm unsure how to cope with anxiety and the resulting feelings of failure that follow which has lead to my depression.

Any further advice? I don't want to feel like this.

Thanks
  • Options
    If the break up was mutual and you're still in contact, try supporting each other. If the cause of your break up was you not addressing and acknowledging your feelings, maybe it'd be a good idea to discuss them. Once you get it all out in the open, you may find ways to help each other, and even just discussing your feelings might make you feel much better.
  • Options
    DreaDrea Posts: 292 The Mix Regular
    Hey Tom,

Edc has made a lot of good points! It could be worth addressing some of the things you were unhappy with and it could be good to talk about it. Is there anyone else you could talk to about how you're feeling? LIke a friend or family? Communication is said to often help but so is keeping busy! There are ways of trying to lead a slightly 'healthier' lifestyle which could be good for your mental wellbeing like exercise for example!

Speak soon,

Drea:heart: