Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Have you? - Support Groups

Jacob101Jacob101 Posts: 687 Incredible Poster
Hello to you reading,

I am thinking about attending a support group for people who have been bereaved by suicide but i am so anxious about it. Just wondering if people have ever or are currently going to support groups, what is your experience?

Thank you in advance,
Jessica
''You were in the wilderness
Looking for your own purpose
Then you became a butterfly, a butterfly
I knew you always would''

- James Arthur (YOU)

Comments

• Options
    One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 599 Incredible Poster
    Hi Jess, I hope you're ok :).
    I attended a small 3 session support group known as changes it was a support group for depression. I was feeling depressed after a certain event and my doctor suggested it.

I thought it was going to be awkward but everyone was so nice. I was actually the youngest there as I was a little to old for the young persons one and just fitted into the adult one.

At first I sat on my own and when we went for a break did the same. The group was small and they all came sit with me asking how I was and stuff. It was a big help it really was.
    I think it helps that everyone was in the same boat.

I'm ok now I'm not on medication anymore and I'm back to how I was before the event. I've still kept all the information as a just in case. If you're worried about not fitting in or not liking it. You could alway try it and then not go back it you don't feel comfortable.

But I think it's grate that you're looking into this.

All the best
    EmmaXx
  • Options
    AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,031 Boards Guru
    Hey Jess,

For many people support groups can seem scary, but it offers a place to share stories and experiences with others who have experienced a similar kinds of experiences. I found a bit of information on The Loss Foundation's website about their support groups and what to expect in a session. Some of what they do might be a little bit different to other support group sessions, but some of the information might be useful:
    What happens in a support group session?
    We most typically spend the time sharing our experiences in our confidential and non-judgmental space, although sometimes we end up just catching up over coffee and cake too (speaking informally with others in a similar position to you can feel hugely relieving). People attending the group tend to share memories and experiences, both happy and difficult, however, there is no rules about having to speak. You are more than welcome to attend and just listen.

We provide free refreshments in each session, and aim to have a delicious homemade cake (or two!) to go around. Providing tasty refreshments is a purposeful action on our behalf – we know how difficult it can be to go along to something new and we want you to feel as comfortable as possible. Cake helps!

We also have a growing library in our support groups with a variety of books on bereavement and information leaflets. Most of our books are recommendations from attendees. You are more than welcome to borrow a book or two and bring them back when you have finished them – there is no rush to return them.

Hope that's helpful, do feel free to keep posting here whenever you want to talk things through :)

- Aife
    Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤