Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Pregnancy and epilepsy

One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 599 Incredible Poster
The title pretty much say it all except I'm not pregnant

But when and if it comes time that I decide I want a baby there will be alot of changes I will have to make. Due to all these changes pregnancy will have to be planned 2 months in advance (two months before I try)
I think this is due to my medication although I'm not sure.

But I've been thinking about it and there is a few things that could make it hard or awkward. 1 being how would I descuss this with a partner. Obviously I would randomly say "you know if we decide we want a baby we would have to plan it two months in advance." This may make them think that im hinting that I want a baby rather than just letting them know. But also I don't want leavr it until we descuss wanting children and then be like "yeah now we have to wait two months before we try."

Also contraception. If during a relationship we decided we want to have sex. I would have to go see my doctor ad descuss contraception for reasons I'm not quite sure of.

Again this would have to be thought if peior to having a sexual relationship. So sex at the sper of the moment is out if the question.

I have read that it is recommended that you give birth in a consultant-led maternity unit in hospital. so again something I would need to concider and I haven't a clue what it is.

The last thing is breastfeeding, it does say that usually there is no reason why I can't breastfeed but this should be discussed. So that could possibly mean I wouldn't be able to (yes I am pro breastfeeding due to the advantages for the baby)

I know it may be a little early to think about all this but is it really? I'm not in a relationship but I've got to take this seriously if I do decide to have a child, for my own and baby's health.

Is it too early to discuss these with a doctor? I'm not even planning a sexual relationship or to have a child yet.

It is a lot to think about and what if my future partner thinks this is too much and can't cope with all these changes?

What is my potential partner doesn't really understand what I'm getting talking about?

What if all these proportions make me seem weird or ott?

I know these are stupid questions but it's still there. Because it's not going to be as easy as deciding to have a sexual relationship and then deciding to have children.

Comments

• Options
    JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,306 Part of The Furniture
    Hey Million,

This is a hell of a lot to be thinking about, so props to you! I think ultimately it's up to you how early you consider these things. I guess it depends where you're at with yourself and your own life, and if you think it's relevant to start thinking about this stuff then that's all that really matters.

I could be wrong, but a doctor should, in theory, be open to discussing this sort of thing with you. Even if it's not an imminent thing, planning for the future is important for some and a totally valid thing to want some professional support with. Besides, minds do change and if for whatever reason you decide you want to have a child or a sexual relationship then being prepared for it can only be a good thing. :)

Partner-wise, good communication is quite important to healthy relationships; being open, upfront and making things clear is always good for avoiding later misunderstandings. There are ways to weave things into conversation that aren't too abrupt, too. A lot of this stuff can come up just while you're getting to know each other, and a lot of people would probably respect your honesty.

It's tough to predict how people react to personal things like this, but as long as a partner is open-minded and willing to have these sorts of conversations, and of course they care about you, then that should make things far easier to work through as a couple.

How're you feeling about things now? Did you end up talking to anyone about everything?

Keep us posted. *hug*
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
  • Options
    LostsenseLostsense Posts: 1,329 Wise Owl
    Hey lovely

I just popped into my head as I am looking at this page atm have you tried calling epilepsy action they have a helpline https://www.epilepsy.org.uk/info/seizures/focal-seizures

Thinking of you:heart:
  • Options
    One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 599 Incredible Poster
    Hi thank you both for replying.

I suppose while I'm not ready or thinking about having children yet, it's reassuring to know what to expect if and when I do decide.

Rather then decide and not have a clue where to start. I suppose it also gives me the confidence in knowing the risks that may occur although they should be very little and unlikely to happen.

Thinking about it now you are right mike cominication is important and my potential partner should be willing to listen.

Thank you Lostsense had a look at that website and there is some useful stuff on there :) cheers

Enma