Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Dealing with false accusations

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Someone at work wrongly thought that there was some cash missing from the till. Within a few minutes, he and several other people accused me, and only me, of stealing it. I told them the truth, that I hadn't stolen it. Minutes later, he again added up how much money was taken during that day and realised that there was no money missing - he'd added it up wrongly the first time. No-one apologised to me.

In a few ways, I can't understand this:

a) Why didn't he add it up a second time straight after it didn't tally, rather that immediately accusing me?

b) Why did he, and several others, accuse only me? I'd never stolen anything, so why did they suspect / scapegoat me only?

c) Why, after they realised for 100% certain that I hadn't stolen any of the money (because no money was actually missing) didn't any of my accusers apologise to me?

Is there a good way to deal with this type of situation, should it arise again? How can I reduce the risk of being falsely accused again?