Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Self harm worries

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I self harm by bruising myself on my arms, legs and hips. I've noticed that my skin seems very dry where I have bruises in the places that I frequently harm myself, whereas acccidental bruises on other places do not do this. Is this normal?

Comments

• Options
    It does sound like it could be normal depending on how you bruise yourself and what you actually do. Without going into too much detail (as in what you specifically do) would you be able to give us more to go off?
  • Options
    Hmmm, hard to say, I'm worried about saying too much. I find the frequently bruised areas are also more prone to swelling, like they start swelling up even when I've not done it that badly compared to how much they used to take without swelling. I do also have fairly dry skin anyway
  • Options
    I bruise a couple of times a week on and off for four years
  • Options
    DistractionDistraction Posts: 449 Listening Ear
    Am not sure if that is normal or not, I don't really get bruises so I don't know much about them, would you be up for seeing a doctor, u could just say that u bruise easily and lately they have dry skin and swell from time to time, they don't have to know, it's probably nothing but it's always nice to have peace of mind.
  • Options
    LostsenseLostsense Posts: 1,329 Wise Owl
    Have you used some moisturiser in the places that are dry?
  • Options
    BTW perhaps TESS is a good place to text/email asking stuff like this I'll come back with the website
  • Options
    http://www.selfinjurysupport.org.uk/...pport-service/

I know it says for girls and young women but I don't see how they would know if your a boy or young lad