Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Singleplayer or Multiplayer games?

RhysRhys Posts: 288 The Mix Regular
So, It's not often I've started a thread, and I'm not to sure how many responses Ill get BUT, I am interested what type of games people prefer and what draws you to that type of game.

Me personally, I play Multiplayer, mostly different forms of MMO, including Diablo 3, Need for Speed, Runescape, World of Warcraft(not so much now)
Though I have also played my fair share of single player games, FF:X, Digimon World 3, 4, Redigitzed (Had to use an English patch for that one), Pokemon (all of them on handhelds and some on N64, GC), and some other games.

I have experience with testing new MMOs but not much in testing new Single Player games.

The reason I prefer multiplayer games is because of the communities (which in some are not that great) and the fact I can compete against other people, though the story on a lot of multiplayer games are either non-existant or not very good (few exceptions)

Well, hopefully this gets talk going,
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Bernard M. Baruch

Comments

• Jacob101Jacob101 Posts: 687 Incredible Poster
    The only game i play is The Sims, love it!!
    ''You were in the wilderness
    Looking for your own purpose
    Then you became a butterfly, a butterfly
    I knew you always would''

- James Arthur (YOU)
  • HannHann Posts: 3,434 Boards Guru
    A thread about games yay :d this makes the inner game designer excited :d

Being a fellow gamer, I do love multilayer games, with communities that are created but I also love single player games because of the freedom you get to do whatever you want, within boundaries of course.

The only MMO game I've actually properly played with an online community is minecraft. After watching one of my favourite youtubers play drunk minecraft on a server called Vox, I went and instantly bought minecraft and started playing on the server. The community that was created on Vox was amazing. I would spend any of my spare time going on minecraft and just talking with the friends I had in this community. A lot changed on Vox and I no longer play on there, peoole changed and got quite bitchy so yeah.

With multiplayer in the same room, such as Mario Kart, I love. You get to experience gaming with someone in the same room, and also bring out the schadenfreude in people. You also get to watch how people play in person, you can steal their tricks and also have quality time together.

Single player games are also as much fun, getting to experience different developers styles of gaming, and also experiencing different genres of gaming in your own comfort. My current favourite single player has to be The Sims 4 :p
  • JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,288 Part of The Furniture
    Lotta love for game threads!

I'm a big solo gamer. Give me any single player open world game like Far Cry, Fallout or The Elder Scrolls and I'll lose a ridiculous amount of hours to it, same goes for city builders like Anno or SimCity. I don't mind the odd multiplayer big team battle on games like Halo, but I've never been very competitive with them and always played more for myself than for my team. Always much preferred the stories to games like that and Crysis, too.

I totally agree with Hann though - old school split screen gaming is super fun in my opinion. I really miss that about modern games; multiplayer games tend to be online and you do lose a bit of that magic (and the bruises from your friend elbowing you when you beat them...). I remember me and a buddy of mine playing the first Halo games on splitscreen co-op and they're some of my best memories of gaming.
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
  • RhysRhys Posts: 288 The Mix Regular
    Hey guys, thanks for the replies :D

I have to agree with both of you, nothing beats a good split screen game. It sucks that developers rarely do it now.

I think since I'm very competitive (Was practising to go pro on two games, but the communities ruined my experience) I just cant seem to finish single player games. I love deep stories like Final Fantasy, but I just cant seem to complete them which really sucks for me.

Like I was really looking forward to the latest Pokemon games (sun & moon) and despite loving the game, I just can't seem to finish it. Not sure if it some psychological thing that I don't want things to end (I guess thats what people may say), but for me MMOs never really end, theres also something else to do.

Although Sims is a game I get quite into, I love starting little families.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Bernard M. Baruch
    I'm the same to be honest, I start games and then don't finish them, I mainly get bored of them tbf. Like I got Pokemon Yellow when they released it on 3DS, I started to play it and then after grinding a lot I got bored because I couldn't do one part of the game. If I can't do a game, I just give up. It's the same with irl tasks, I get bored easily, and give up too easily. Could be a psychological thing.

Yeah that's what I like about MMO's especially Minecraft, like you can recreate stuff over and over again, in different locations, with different materials, and different looks. All creative and experience really.

Yes The Sims is amazing, I love creating families, and really creating the 'perfect' family in my vision. With all the expansion packs and locations, you can always have a different game each time. I think the favourite part about the sims for me has to be the creating of the family and the house. I love using cheats to get money just so I can have loads of amazing things in the house, stuff that I'd love to have in my own house tbf.
    Speaking on the subject of games, when the term "The Unseen" is said about a game, what comes to mind? It's a project we're doing, and I was curious what people's opinions are on it.

An example could be wilderness, so a part of the world no one has ever explored. Or another example of Unseen being that you see a chair tucked into a table and when you turn round it's been pulled out.

Any single or multilayer games based around this?
  • JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,288 Part of The Furniture
    Hann wrote: »
    Speaking on the subject of games, when the term "The Unseen" is said about a game, what comes to mind? It's a project we're doing, and I was curious what people's opinions are on it.

An example could be wilderness, so a part of the world no one has ever explored. Or another example of Unseen being that you see a chair tucked into a table and when you turn round it's been pulled out.

Any single or multilayer games based around this?

This sounds like a pretty cool project. :)

For me, what comes to mind is an unexplored wilderness (like you said) or some form of assassin or hitman. Thinking about Assassin's Creed - like a group of people doing something shady, maybe even like a government agency or branch of the military. I guess it also makes me think of some sort of horror game with 'the unseen' perhaps being the antagonists; monsters or some sort of alien species. Just spit-balling here though! Not sure about any games currently out that resemble these sorts of things (I'm out the loop).

Out of interest, is it for something you're developing?
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
    Mike wrote: »

This sounds like a pretty cool project. :)

For me, what comes to mind is an unexplored wilderness (like you said) or some form of assassin or hitman. Thinking about Assassin's Creed - like a group of people doing something shady, maybe even like a government agency or branch of the military. I guess it also makes me think of some sort of horror game with 'the unseen' perhaps being the antagonists; monsters or some sort of alien species. Just spit-balling here though! Not sure about any games currently out that resemble these sorts of things (I'm out the loop).

Out of interest, is it for something you're developing?

Well it's an assignment >.> :p But yes it's something I'll be developing, more or less an exploring map than an actual game

Thanks for your reply though! :d
  • RhysRhys Posts: 288 The Mix Regular
    Neglected my own topic >_<

When I play The Sims I mainly start of single and either move families in to houses / Apartments that I would like to start a family with, or find new ones in the game. Though alot of my original families have started becoming ghosts due to me keeping ageing on as a part of realism.

Oddly the only thing that comes to mind when I see Unseen Is secrets in games, like hidden easter eggs not many people know about.

Not sure if that helps you with your assignment or not though.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Multiplayer games for me.

Used to play Halo 2 with a few old members on here (shows you how long I've been a memer). Still don't think it can be beaten for a multiplayer experience.
    Weekender Offender